How to Get a Public School Interview??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by hollydoris, Apr 23, 2015.

1. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Apr 23, 2015

Hello,

I don't post around here very much but hopefully someone doesn't mind helping me out. I am job hunting after three years at my current position. I never get any calls back from public schools even though I feel I'm qualified. I do get calls and interview offers from charters and privates, but I don't know what it is about public schools that I can't get through. All of the public schools around here use Applitrack for applications. I'm sure the market is probably a bit flooded for elementary teachers in my area, but I'm also wondering if there is something that might be screening applications, like a software looking for specific traits and I'm not including something they want to see or that I am including something they don't want, if that makes sense. My contract was non-renewed and the official reason I was given was staff restructuring and lack of resources. I write that in the appropriate spot when it asks about non-renewal, but do you think that automatically rules me out? I'm just frustrated because I've applied to so many positions and have heard nothing. I don't know what it takes to get into a public school.

If anyone could offer any advice on what to include in those intensive applications like Applitrack I would appreciate it. I feel as though my cover letters and resume are strong because they get me interviews at other schools. But I am just wondering if something in those 20 page applications are holding me back.

For example, I never know how to mark that I'm highly qualified. I am highly qualified, but they NEVER have elementary as a choice. I'm also endorsed for MS English so I do mark that area, but then I just mark all core subjects because I'm not sure what else to do. Am I doing that right? How should you mark that you're highly qualified when you're elementary using a generic software like that?

Thank you so much to all who can help!

3. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 23, 2015

Elementary is not something you are able to be HQ in, you can be certified in it, though. YOu sound like you are HQ in English, as I doubt you meet your state requirements to be HQ in SS, LAL, Math, Science

4. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Apr 23, 2015

You can be highly qualified in Elementary. I'm HQ in Early Childhood Ed and I mark either that or elem if it isn't an option.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2015

Elementary teachers in NJ are considered HQ if they:
    Have at least a Bachelor’s degree
    • Have valid state certification
    o CE and CEAS are considered state certification
    o No requirements have been waived
    o No emergency or conditional certificates
    • Demonstrate content expertise in the core
    academic subject(s) they teach

Content area knowledge expertise is satisfied by : passing Praxis II Elementary Content Knowledge Test

OP...you might want to post your resume/cover here for tweaking...there are quite a few of us who sit on hiring committees and we may be able to offer advice on how to make your package more appealing to public schools.

6. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Apr 24, 2015

I am on a tablet and wasn't able to copy and paste from the adobe document I was reading, but according to the Minnesota (my state) department of education, I am highly qualified and have met all requirements.

My problem is applitrack doesn't recognize elementary...but I don't want to mark nothing because I AM HQ, you know? How do other elementary teachers mark this part of applitrack? I know that the applications via applitrack can vary but that has been part of every one I've filled out.

Any other insight on what it takes to get your application seen or get an interview with the public schools?

7. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Apr 24, 2015

And czacza thanks, that's a good idea. I can post them later today.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2015

I am hoping that you simply state RIF when it asks about nonrenewal, since that is something everyone understands - events that were not within your control and no reflection on you. If your resume is 3 years old, I am sure it needs tweaking, as do your LOR's.

9. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Apr 24, 2015

My resume is not three years old, I updated it. I just meant that I have been at the same job for the past three years, but my resume is quite updated.

What does RIF mean? I have never been nonrenewed before and I guess I'm not sure what I'm supposed to write. What I have been writing is what I typed in my OP--staff restructuring and lack of resources. Does that set off red flags?

10. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Apr 24, 2015

My letters of rec are also brand new--I have one from my principal, one from a former principal (at my school two years ago), one from my co-teacher, and one from a school board member. They were just written a couple weeks ago.

11. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Apr 24, 2015

12. JJdog

JJdog Rookie

Apr 24, 2015

My understanding is that you must go back into your applications and change or update *something* every couple of days so that you application stays towards the top of the pile.

I have been going in almost daily and either changing something small, or adding new positions etc. and then updating and re-submitting the application.

Have you been doing any of this at all with your applications?

Also, what about job fairs?

13. JJdog

JJdog Rookie

Apr 24, 2015

Cover letter

Just a few general thoughts about your cover letter:

First and foremost you must break it up into way more paragraphs. It is very difficult to read in its current form.

Secondly, I would cut the part at the beginning where you recite which all grades and courses you have taught/are teaching. That information is right there on your resume and it tough to read through in list form like that.

The letter should highlight a few key pieces of information for them and elaborate beyond what is on the resume.

:) :) :)

14. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Apr 24, 2015

Thanks JJdog! I will do that. My first paragraph is definitely too lengthy. Also, brilliant suggestion about going in and updating the application to stay at the top--I had no idea it worked like that.

I've searched for job fairs but I could only find one in my area and I just missed it (April 13th.) :(

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2015

RIF is reduction in force, meaning they cut the number of teachers for whatever reason (money), but didn't terminate you for cause - because you were not a good teacher. RIF is well accepted admin speak, but if you want to write reduction in force, feel free. It is neat and well understood, not sounding like you are making any excuses. HUGE difference!

16. CanIteachPhysic

CanIteachPhysic Rookie

Apr 24, 2015

I am not a teacher, so this may not be on point and others may disagree, but I would suggest you over hall both the cover letter and resume.

I think the cover letter is WAY too long. You want it short, sweet and to the point.

" I am applying for the XX job." I have been teaching elementary education for XX years at JOb 1, Job 2, and Job 3. I have taught (skill 1, 2 & 3 to 5th through 8th graders.)

Follow with a concluding paragraph.

The resume - The skills section should be moved to after your jobs. Skills of "Active Listening" and "Communication" are not skills. Everyone has them. List things that you are proficient in or have advanced classes in. "Power Point" "Java programming language", Graduate classes in Early Childhood learning or diagramming a sentence, "Certified Tutor for XXX"

Some will disagree, but I think you should get rid of the jobs after your teaching jobs. OR just list them as "Swim Instructor" and "Clinic Instructor"

Others can weigh in on changes to you resume, if they think it should be changed.

17. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Apr 24, 2015

CanITeachPhysic, I updated the skills section to this:

• Understanding of Project-Based Learning
    • Thinking creatively and innovatively
    • Knowledge and understanding of educational best practices
    • Understanding of Responsive Classroom
    • Musical skills (guitar and vocal music)
    • Differentiating instruction to meet the needs of all students

Is this what you mean? I agree those skills were vague. While I have updated my resume, I will admit I haven't paid much attention to that skills section.

18. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Apr 24, 2015

I recently had the help of a friend of mine to update my resume. She is the dean of academic affairs for a high school and told me what she looks for in resumes to hire teachers and I've gotten three interviews so far.

My :2cents: on your resume:
    -I'm not sure I would even have a "skills" section. You would be much better off highlighting specific things you have done in your teaching experiences.
    -Be specific, don't just say "differentiated". Tell the reader HOW you differentiated. What specifically did you do.
    -How do you understand a responsive classroom? Have you used it in your classroom? What did it look like?
    -How have you used best practices in your classroom?
    -BRAG about all the great and wonderful things you have done teaching! Did you design a great phys ed or music lesson? Perhaps something hands on or creative, tell us!
    -Do you have experience with assessment?
    -You implemented behavior and classroom management, how? What did you implement?
    -And I always add something about parents. How I collaborated with them or encouraged involvement.
    -I'm not sure I would put other work experience in there. I would keep it to what is relevant to the positions you are applying for.
    -Perhaps write a sentence about who or what you were tutoring.

** You use the word "taught" a lot for your bullets. Try these: Designed, collaborated, prepared, monitored, developed, etc.

Sorry if this seems like a lot but I know how hard the job search is, just trying to help you out the best I can :rolleyes:

As for the cover letter... I have always been told to give a story or example of something specific you have done in the classroom. Give the reader a picture of who you are as a teacher or what they might experience when coming into your classroom. I'm an early childhood teacher and I talked about the importance of incorporating language and communication within my classroom. I talked about what they might see or hear my children doing and why.

I hope this helps!! :thumb:

19. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Apr 26, 2015

shoreline02, those are wonderful suggestions! Thanks so much! I will do some editing to my resume later today. Apparently I'm not as good at this as I thought. ;) I could definitely be way more specific and highlight some of the things I've done that I'm proud of in my teaching.

Thanks again everyone!

20. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Apr 26, 2015

So I deleted the "skills" section and replaced it with a "teaching accomplishments/skills" section. I also moved that section to after my teaching work experience instead of before. Here is what I put:

TEACHING SKILLS/ACCOMPLISHMENTS
    • Uses the Responsive Classroom approach in my teaching
    • Successful implementation of project-based learning methods
    • Differentiated content for multiple ages and abilities through centers, assignment choice boards, and project-based learning
    • Guided my students to lead a Health and Fitness Initiative in their school and community
    • Provided experiential learning experiences for my students through STEM activities
    • Committed to a rigorous, standards-driven education for all students
    • Stays current with and uses educational best practices

Does this sound better? Still too vague? Not very impressive?

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2015

These might be better as bullets under your experience (ie: fitness initiative listed under school where you instituted that) or highlighted in your resume.:2cents:

22. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Apr 26, 2015

So you mean delete that teaching accomplishments section on my resume all together and rather just include those bullet points in my job descriptions for teaching?

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2015

I can't read your resume without joining the site where you posted it. I have served on my school's hiring committee and mostly see that type of info listed under the schools where those initiatives/strategies were implemented.

24. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Apr 26, 2015

Sorry about that. I wasn't sure how to attach the file here so I just found a random hosting site. I suppose I don't need to post the exact file though. I will just copy and paste in the text box (just know that I do have it formatted more attractively in microsoft word!) Here is the meat of it--I have taken your advice as I think that does make more sense and is less confusing than having a separate section.

Thanks! (EDIT: I decided to remove all cities from the resume just for internet common sense I guess, heh. So I do have the cities on my real resume.)

EDUCATION
    Bethel University Graduated Cum Laude Dec. 2011
    Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education GPA: 3.7
    Emphasis: 5-8 Communication Arts and Literature

Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota Anticipated Graduation Spring 2017
    Master’s in Special Education (Currently in the program)
    Emphasis: Learning Disorders (LD) and Emotional Behavioral Disorders (EBD)

TEACHING EXPERIENCE
    5th and 6th Grade Elementary Teacher/Middle School ELA Teacher/Learning Support August 2012 to Present
    Westwind Education
    • Taught and differentiated through centers, assignment choice boards, and project-based learning a multi-grade classroom for English/Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, and Science
    • Used Responsive Classroom Approach to classroom management and teaching
    • Taught Physical Education and Music to elementary grades
    • Guided students through a Health and Fitness Initiative project for their school and community
    • Helped facilitate the start of a student-led school store
    • Taught a middle school English class for two years and two middle school elective courses for one year
    • Was the Learning Support Coordinator for 3rd-12th grade and created IEPs and 504 plans for students
    • Provided experiential learning experiences for my students through STEM activities

Substitute Teacher March 2012- May 2012
    Saint Paul Public Schools • Substitute taught in a variety of schools and classrooms within Saint Paul
    • Implemented behavior and classroom management

Substitute Teacher January 2012-May 2012
    Kelly Educational Staffing
    • Substitute taught in a variety of schools and classrooms around the Twin Cities Area (Fridley, Spring Lake Park, Brooklyn Center, etc.)

Student Teaching
    1st Placement: Andover Elementary (1st Grade) February 2011- March 2011
    2nd Placement: Crooked Lake Elementary (5th Grade Math/Science) March 2011-May 2011
    • Developed lesson plans and instructed students in a variety of subjects
    • Used differentiation and student interests to plan lessons appropriate for the students I taught

Teaching Residency September 2010-December 2010
    St. Paul City School (Charter): 5th Grade
    • Gained an understanding of the diversity of Saint Paul (specifically Frogtown)
    • Developed lesson plans and instructed students in FOSS science and an American Revolution Social Studies unit

OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
    Swim Instructor and Lead Guard May 2005-August 2012
    Spring Valley Schools: Syverson Pool
    • Teach group and private swimming lessons to a variety of ages and skill levels.
    • Supervise patrons and enforce safety rules and regulations.
    • Supervise other lifeguards and deal with employee and patron concerns in an appropriate manner.
    • Use CPR, First Aid, and Lifeguarding skills to respond to medical issues and emergencies.

Clinic Instructor and Sales Associate August 2011-August 2012
    Running Room, Inc.
    • Fit customers for the proper running gear.
    • Educate customers and various aspects of the sport of running.
    • Teach a half marathon clinic helping people to train properly to reach their goal.

VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
    • One by One Tutoring
    • S.P.A.R.K. Tutoring

**References Available Upon Request

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2015

Your 'other work experience' needs verb tense work...past tense would read better.:2cents:

26. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2015

Drop references available upon request - that is dated, plus, it is a given.

Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota Anticipated Graduation Spring 2017
    Master’s in Special Education (Currently in the program)
    Emphasis: Learning Disorders (LD) and Emotional Behavioral Disorders (EBD)

Master's in Special Education Studies:Learning Disorders and Emotional Behavioral Disorders - School xxxx. Your anticipated graduation is too far off to put that as if a fact, according to people who helped with my resume.

Similarly, you can drop the year you graduated, leave Cum Laude, drop your GPA - it is on your transcript- drop the emphasis and state it as B of A, Elem xxx : 5-8 Communication Arts and Literature.

You are still using the word taught too much- go to Bloom's and find some different action words to make this more vibrant.

27. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Apr 26, 2015

• Taught and differentiated through centers, assignment choice boards, and project-based learning a multi-grade classroom for English/Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, and Science

-Differentiated instruction in a multi-grade classroom through the use of centers, assignment choice boards, and project-based learning

• Used Responsive Classroom Approach to classroom management and teaching

I would name something specific to this approach

• Guided students through a Health and Fitness Initiative project for their school and community

Guided students in the completion of a Health and Fitness Initiative project for the school and learning community

Facilitated students in the development of a school store

I would name some activities

my :2cents: !

28. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Apr 26, 2015

Thanks for catching that czacza--I don't know how I missed that! I have fixed it now.

I think I get what you're saying lynettstoy. I have revised everything and posted it below. Does this look/sound better?

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it. I had just updated my resume when I started grad school in January, and of course it didn't matter so much for that but I just assumed it was good to go. I definitely should have taken the time to closely examine it. Thanks for the reality check!

EDUCATION
    Bethel University Graduated Cum Laude
    B.A. in K-6 Elementary Education and 5-8 Communication Arts and Literature

Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
    M.A. in Special Education: Learning Disorders (LD) and Emotional Behavioral Disorders (EBD)
    (Currently in program)

TEACHING EXPERIENCE
    5th/6th Grade Elementary Teacher/Middle School ELA Teacher/Learning Support August 2012 to Present
    Westwind Education
    • Instructed and differentiated through centers, assignment choice boards, and project-based learning a multi-grade classroom for English/Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, and Science
    • Implemented a Responsive Classroom approach to classroom management and teaching
    • Taught a middle school English class for two years and two middle school elective courses for one year
    • Supported learners with special needs as the Learning Support Coordinator for 3rd-12th grade and created IEPs and 504 plans for students

Substitute Teacher March 2012- May 2012
    Saint Paul Public Schools
    • Substitute taught in a variety of schools and classrooms within Saint Paul

Substitute Teacher January 2012-May 2012
    Kelly Educational Staffing Saint Paul, MN
    • Substitute taught in a variety of schools and classrooms around the Twin Cities Area (Fridley, Spring Lake Park, Brooklyn Center, etc.)

Student Teaching
    1st Placement: Andover Elementary (1st Grade) February 2011- March 2011
    2nd Placement: Crooked Lake Elementary (5th Grade Math/Science) March 2011-May 2011 Andover, MN
    • Developed lesson plans and instructed students in a variety of subjects
    • Used differentiation and student interests to plan lessons appropriate for the students I taught

Teaching Residency September 2010-December 2010
    St. Paul City School (Charter): 5th Grade
    • Gained an understanding of the diversity of Saint Paul (specifically Frogtown)
    • Developed lesson plans and instructed students in FOSS science and an American Revolution Social Studies unit

OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
    Swim Instructor and Lead Guard May 2005-August 2012
    Spring Valley Schools: Syverson Pool
    • Taught group and private swimming lessons to a variety of ages and skill levels.
    • Supervised patrons and enforced safety rules and regulations.
    • Supervised other lifeguards and dealt with employee and patron concerns in an appropriate manner.
    • Used CPR, First Aid, and Lifeguarding skills to respond to medical issues and emergencies.

Clinic Instructor and Sales Associate August 2011-August 2012
    Running Room, Inc.
    • Educated customers and various aspects of the sport of running.
    • Lead a half marathon clinic helping people to train properly to reach their goal.

VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
    • One by One Tutoring
    • S.P.A.R.K. Tutoring

29. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Apr 26, 2015

I just saw your post now, shoreline. Thank you for those suggestions. I agree it is important to start each line with a stronger word than what I was doing and to be more specific. I have reworded that section to this:

• Differentiated instruction in a multi-grade classroom through the use of centers, assignment choice boards, and project-based learning
    • Provided experiential learning experiences for my students through STEM activities such as tower and bridge engineering and building
    • Implemented a Responsive Classroom approach to classroom management and teaching through morning meeting, interactive modeling, and routines
    • Guided students in the completion of a Health and Fitness Initiative project for the school and learning community
    • Facilitated students in the development of a school store
    • Supported learners with special needs as the Learning Support Coordinator for 3rd-12th grade and created IEPs and 504 plans for students

30. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2015

Better! I am no expert, and generally pay to get my resume done whenever I have significant changes or additions. I have noted the variation of education buzz words, changing forms, and more of the Bloom's type of descriptions that make the writing less static and boring. The best resume writers have a style that I appreciate, and I have been pleased with the results, both the look, information, and resulting interviews. I think you are heading in the right direction. Your first draft, so to speak, looked very much like a first draft. You have refined, and I would urge you to put it away a day or so, and come back to it with a fresh eye, and see what seems out of sync with your current improvements.

Since you have classroom experience, I am not inclined to keep the bit on your student teaching and residency. Every teacher has this, more or less, and once again, this is going to be on your application. More is not always a good thing.

MA Spec xxxxxxxxxx Studies:
    you are in the program, studying to earn your MA, so don't present yourself, unintentionally, as having a MA when you don't - yet.

Somehow you need to trim down your swim coach experience. It is nice to have, but now you are a teacher. Your resume needs to present you as a teacher. Distill the early years work to the teaching of swimming, and the Emergency training, as both of these enhance your teaching ability. If you hadn't done the two things in the middle, you probably wouldn't have remained employed.

I would still get rid of one of the taughts and find better action verbs. The second one is ripe for review. I would like to know what electives, wouldn't you? If you cut out some of the things you don't need, you can add an appropriate bullet and address that on its own - and how did this help your students, or increase your own skill level?

I don't want you to think that I am too picky - I see a lot of improvement and think you are on your way. These are more of the fine details. Although I have followed your thread, I have not had much of a chance to post. Best of luck.

31. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Apr 26, 2015

Thank you, lynettstoy. I'll put it away for today and look at it again tomorrow.

I have an unrelated question--do you count substitute teaching in your years of experience? I was a December graduate and subbed from January through May, then I got my full-time job. When marking years of experience on Applitrack (or similar) should I include subbing or just full-time teaching? Since it was only half a year, I've been leaving it out but I'm sure the more experience I say I have the better I look. However, applitrack doesn't have the option to do half years and I'm afraid that rounding up to 4 would be too much of a stretch. Thoughts on this?

32. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2015

Three years of experience is pretty good, actually, so inclined to leave it out. It has a lot more significance for someone with years of subbing, but little contracted time. I think you have it on your resume, and you may have LOR's from there? If not, just let it stand - they can do the math. If you told me you had 2.5 years under contract, that would be counted as three years on the application - three academic school years. I learned that at my first job.

I forgot to mention earlier, if you aren't on LinkedIn, you should be. This is an excellent resource. It is a way to make your resume, and that little something more you want to share, available to administrators who want to know more about you before relying on just your resume. This is a place to show Praxis scores, if exceptional, show courses you have completed towards that masters, have contacts who can endorse you for skills sets that more accurately define who you are, what you do.

Finally, I hope you have Googled yourself to see what comes up. Lock down your social media, look for errors, and generally, with a strong LinkedIn profile, that is what potential employers will find easily when you have captured their interest. These are ways to put your best foot forward.

33. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Apr 27, 2015

Thanks for the tip! I am on linked in but I'm sure that my profile could use some tweaking and updating.

34. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Apr 29, 2015

Okay--a job just opened up in a school close to my house that I was LOVE to work in. I need to pull out the big guns!! I've already applied, but I can make adjustments to the applitrack as needed. Any and all applitrack tips welcomed! Here is my cover letter for the position--does this sound okay??

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing in response to the open elementary teaching positions in _____ Area Schools. I would love to teach for _____ because I am committed to helping all of my students reach their fullest potential through a rigorous standards-based education that includes project-based learning and STEM activities. I currently teach a combined fifth and sixth grade class in a private school. In addition to that, I also taught seventh and eighth grade English/Language Arts for two years at this school and an Interior Design elective course for middle school for one year. At this school I have also been responsible for teaching students in grades 3-6 physical education and music. Because of this, I have an appreciation for how these areas of specialty help students learn and reach all different kinds of learners.

This past year, I have taken on the role of “Learning Support Coordinator”, which would be considered Special Education in the public setting. In this role I have learned a lot about meeting the needs of various students and helping their teachers adhere to their Individualized Educational Plans (IEPs). Because of this experience, I was motivated and inspired to pursue my master’s degree in Special Education, which I am currently working on from Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota. I am pursuing this degree to be a more inclusive educator that can meet all of her students’ needs in the classroom.

I have many experiences working with diverse learners. The students at the school I currently teach for have very specific religious needs that need to be accommodated. Beyond my experiences at my current school, I substitute taught for Saint Paul Public Schools and did a residency in my undergraduate program at a charter school in the Frogtown area of Saint Paul. My time in these positions taught me a lot about the unique needs of all students being served in Minnesota and made me committed to a high quality education for all scholars.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through my experiences and for your consideration. It would be a pleasure to serve for _______ Area Schools. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Also, I'm considering emailing the principal. What is a good amount of time to wait before I email? The position was just posted today and closes the 12th. Would it hurt for me to email today? Or should I wait a week or so from now....or wait until after the closing date?

35. JJdog

JJdog Rookie

Apr 29, 2015

I would cut the entire rest of the first paragraph beginning where it says "In addition to that . . ."

I would then move the sentence that comes just before that one (the one about currently teaching combined 5th/6th) to the beginning of the second paragraph.

I would lastly shorten/condense each of the remaining paragraphs. I think it is still very long and worry that people might not bother to read it in its entirety.

Best of luck to you!!

36. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2015

Sent you a private message with a couple of suggestions.

Best of luck!