How to get a job in VA?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by born2teach84, Jul 7, 2008.

1. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

I am being relocated to VA and I am wondering what is the best way to go about getting a job. I have sent in my applications to three different counties and I have heard nothing. VA doesn't really post their teaching positions so it is difficult to send our resumes. Should I go ahead and send my resume to schools even if I don't know if they have openings? The websites to the three counties I applied to say wait for an initial interview before you send it out. I am so confused. This is nothing like NC. Any advice is appreciated. :)

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2008

Hmmm... That is strange. Last year when I was relocating, there were tons of jobs in VA! Most were in the DC area or near Virginia Beach/Norfolk. Quite a few near Richmond as well.
    Have you tried teachers-teachers.com??
    I'd send resumes and cover letters at least. Just keep sending them over and over again. I probably mailed 30 different principals at least 5 resumes each!!
    Good luck!

4. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jul 7, 2008

Not sure what part of VA you are looking for. There are several posted in the Washington Post. www.washingtonpost.com

Alexandria City schools have lots posted. The city is a different district than the county so you may need to search specific cities.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 7, 2008

What part of Virginia are you looking at? First off, you'll find most of the openings at teachers-teachers.com. It is loaded with them for Virginia, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Northern Virginia, Western Virginia, and Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Virginia Beach) are like different worlds -- so it really is important to know what part of Virginia you are looking for.

I know it can't be here in Hampton Roads, because we don't have counties! :) We are the only place in Virginia that doesn't have counties. The nearest one to here is James City County, and that isn't that close. We have cities without affiliated counties.

6. Ms.E

Ms.E Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

Like they said, teachers-teachers.com or you can go to the virginia department of education and look on there (website is kinda screwey though). Most jobs will be Northern VA, DC area, Richmond City, Petersbrug, Roanoke, Fredericksbrug... depends on where you are looking. There are a few openings in my county as well.

7. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Jul 9, 2008

It's a little more time consuming, but the VA DOE website has links to all the different districts. Each of those sites should have a current list of openings. The nice thing about that is that a lot of times you can find which specific schools have openings and try to drop by with a resume to personally deliver to the principals (after completing the district application).

8. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 9, 2008

For my county (Fairfax) I emailed principals with job openings and sent them my cover letter resume. This was after I applied with the county. I got a bunch of calls doing it this way.