How to fuse writing 6 + trait rubric and a grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TamiJ, Sep 21, 2013.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2013

We teach the 6 + writing traits and have a writing rubric to show the growth of a child´s writing over time. This is also what we use to grade the child (we use numerical grades, not letters). I am almost thinking I need two rubrics here. Let me explain:

We are at the beginning of the school year so clearly my students will not be able to meet all the criteria as of yet. The rubric will be able to show how they grow over time, however.

Yet, I am still supposed to generate a number grade based on this rubric. One student I scored today earned a 9 out of 20, which would translate to a 4, which is below an F. How do I explain to mom and dad that it´s okay to be wherever she is on the rubric, yet she has earned an F? To me it seems like there has to be a better way. I emailed my team today about this (we did have two rubrics last year). It seems to me I should generate a rubric specific to the assignment. Our focus this week was to come up with 2 ideas for our writing (which she did), so I could create a rubric the includes coming up with 2 wiritng ideas, follows instructions, effort, etc. and use that as the numerical grade, and use the 6 + traits to record which traits she is using currently.

Another option is to not give grades (we are only required to give math and writing grades) and only score what they can currently do based on the rubric (and I doubt that is an option).

Suggestions?

3. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Sep 22, 2013

Check culhamwriting.com in the "library" section as Ruth (6+1 guru) has some great resources there that might help you.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2013

Thanks! I will check that now.