How To Form Relationships?

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by toiatoi, Jul 21, 2013.

1. toiatoi

toiatoi Rookie

Jul 21, 2013

I come from a job where we were all close and like a family. This is my first time working at a school. Everyone at the school is very nice and friendly, but I feel like I don't have the time to form relationships. I am usually so busy running errands that I don't really have time to get to know anyone, except for the ladies I do lunch duty with. I do make it a point to always stop in the office when I come in the morning and leave in the afternoon to make small talk with the office staff. I just wish I had more time to get to know my colleagues. It could have to do with the fact that I started working towards the end of the year. We also had a luncheon planned but it got postponed. I was really looking forward to it so I could get to know everyone outside of work. Any ideas?

3. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 15, 2013

You might ask the lunch ladies you do duty with to coffee after school. If there is a Social Committee at school you, you might try to get on that. You will have to give it time. Relationships take time to form.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 15, 2013

I've found eating in the staff lounge is a great way to get to know people. It depends on the staff though- I know in some places no one really eats in the lounge. My team always did and this is one of the ways I really got to know our paras. I had one working in my classroom who I obviously knew well but it was harder with the others who worked in different rooms. Eating together every day builds relationships pretty fast!