How to explain work experience on Applitrack

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newteacher99, Aug 31, 2014.

1. newteacher99

newteacher99 Rookie

Aug 31, 2014

Hi all:
    If I am applying for teaching jobs using Applitrack, where there is a drop down for years if teaching experience for the job being applied for. It is 0,1, student taught, clinical internship, etc. How to explain student teaching plus 3 years subbing.
    I am not sure if subbing is just a big zero anyway. So is it correct to say I just student taught?

I am back to square one with "how to get experience without a job and how to get a job without experience".

I seem to remember that everyone needs thar first break but where I am, jobs are scarce, and again without experience how do I get a job?:confused:

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2014

Unless you have several long term subbing assignments that add up to a year (all at least 6 weeks or more), I would stick with student taught.

4. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Aug 31, 2014

I agree with giraffe326. When I was job hunting, I had many longterm positions and figured they counted as 1 year. None of the principals ever cared. :) So, yeah, I would stick with student taught unless you have a lot of longterm jobs.

5. newteacher99

newteacher99 Rookie

Aug 31, 2014

Thanks for the replies. I was not sure if I was supposed to count the subbing, and it turns out I was correct.
    Now to try to get a long term position. they are hard to get these days as well.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2014

The first is the hardest to get. They sort of keep coming after the first, assuming you do a good job. I subbed for a year and a half in 2006-2007 with no long terms. When I moved back to my state (after teaching several years), I didn't get chosen for a permanent position in a certain district, but they did call me a few weeks later to offer me a maternity leave. After that, I had 4 more LTS offers, but took a permanent job with a long (180 mile daily) commute.