How to explain Jeopardy to 3rd graders?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherperson, Oct 20, 2016.

1. teacherperson

teacherperson Rookie

Oct 20, 2016

Hi, I'm a student teacher in a 3rd grade class. Tomorrow, I'm going to do a jeopardy game with them to review for their vocabulary test. I don't think any of them have ever played before. How do I give clear, easy to understand instructions to them on how to play?

(To be clear, I already have the game set up for them, I just need to know how to explain the game to the students to avoid confusing them/having classroom management issues.)

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 20, 2016

Can you set up an example? When we played, I made a simple game to give them the idea before we played with our content. They loved Jeopardy!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Leaborb192 likes this.
  4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2016

Trust me they'll pick it up quickly. If you model it for them, it'll be easier; you need to show them what a sample question would look like and talk aloud as you do it. And like everything, be prepared for awkward moments and/or mistakes... and then address them as you need to. It's hard to anticipate ALL problems until you're working with the kids, but that's teaching. Just plan on the game taking longer than you anticipated... and management issues WILL HAPPEN, just address them. Your kids will get loud and crazy, especially if it is the first time, just reign it in.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 22, 2016

Find a snippet of kids jeopardy on youtube and show it.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 23, 2016

I play jeopardy with my 3rd graders. First, don't feel you have to do it the exact same as the jeopardy TV game. For example, I don't take away points for a wrong answer, they just earn points for correct answers. I keep it to 3 categories, "100"=easier problem, "200"=regular problem, "300" = challenge problem. I then double it halfway through to 200,400,600 for double jeopardy. They enjoy that.

I do agree that modeling it is good. Keep your explanations in short small steps and make sure they are visual that they can see.

otterpop likes this.