How to explain a year of staying home?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nursingnellie, Jul 21, 2010.

1. nursingnellie

nursingnellie Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

I've been home for this past year with my kids - one of whom was born this past September. So I think it would be pretty easy to explain that at an interview - but should I mention something in my cover letters? I don't want to be passed over because of a year's gap in employment without the opportunity to explain myself.

I feel like I'm going to be posting a LOT here in the coming days/weeks...:sorry: in advance if y'all get sick of seeing my sn come up! :)

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2010

I was home for 10 years--and just explained if it came up in an interview that I had made my family my priority for that time. I don't think it's something you need to bring up in a cover letter.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2010

Many of us here have taken off years to stay home with our children. It has never been an issue when job hunting occurred. Welcome to the boards and good luck!

5. nursingnellie

nursingnellie Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

Thanks for the reassurance! I needed that! :thumb:

6. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 21, 2010

It was a non issue with my interviews. During the interview, I just mentioned that after my second child was born I decided to stop teaching full time to be able to devote some time to my young children and now that they are both school age I was ready to get back in the classroom!

7. New Teacher TX

New Teacher TX Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

I took 5 years off and did not mention it in my cover letter. It has not been a big deal during interviews at all, or at least, it sure doesn't seem that way.

8. CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

I think it depends if you have experience as a teacher. I have not worked since I finished my credential May 09, I have not received an interview this season. My lack of experience after student teaching really is not what schools are looking for, especially now with so much competition. If you are taking a break from teaching to stay at home...then you are in a much better position to finding another teaching job.

9. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jul 22, 2010

I graduated in May and got pregnant in July/August 04 and stayed home after that. I started subbing in 07. I always state on my cover letter that "I have enjoyed staying home with my children but feel it is time to blah blah blah" I always get called for interviews when I apply. Apparently I am horrible at interviews!