How to end my senior English class?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by StudentTeach, May 19, 2011.

1. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

May 19, 2011

I just looked at my calendar and realized that even though school ends on June 24, I only have six instructional days left! (We are on a block schedule, 85 min, that meets every other day). I'm not counting finals week or the week before (review). We are finishing up Romantic poets and the other grade-level teacher will be starting Frankenstein. There is a shortened version of Frankenstein in their textbooks, so I'm thinking that we will read that and then I'd like to do something that's really engaging and reflective for them for their last few classes. When we did Kubla Khan we also did a mini-lesson on dreams and how they affect us which they really liked, so I'm not sure if I can incorporate something with that. Any suggestions? KU, I know you also teach seniors, any fun things you do at the end of the year?

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 19, 2011

I'm not sure what to tell you... We studied medieval times, so we had a dinner dressed as king, queens & had a knighting ceremony. So fun!!!

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 19, 2011

Someone I used to work with showed Young Frankenstein, the Mel Brooks movie, and they talked about parody, which was always part of the 12th curriculum for us.

We are reading Night by Elie Wiesel. I have no idea how it got on 12th grade curriculum because we do Brit Lit, but it's a very easy read and the kids are really engaged and since it is an easy read, I am making it a very independent unit, trying to transition them for college.

When I taught American Lit, I would do an American Lit dinner party at the end of the year. The kids would choose a character or author from throughout the year and dress as that character and bring a food that represented them (Huckleberry muffins? Or I would always dress as Johnathan Edwards and make Dirt and then give some speech about how the worms would eat the sinners... lol) They would have to introduce themselves and while we were eating, they had to stay in character and participate in conversation about different topics - stuff we had talked about through the year AND current topics. So I might ask them to comment on Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver, current politics, themes that occurred in what we read, etc from their characters perspective. It was a GREAT way to end the year if you have been doing a lot of literature all year, and it definitely took the highest level thinking skills to take that character's beliefs and comment on current social problems and issues.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 19, 2011

I end the year with award speeches--every kid interviews a classmate (I assign them) and determines what award they'll get, so every student writes two speeches, one to present and another to accept.

It's a shame you only have time for a short version of Frankenstein. We always have a great discussion on who the real monster is in the novel, Victor or the Creature. You could have a debate about that. Another fun activity for the end of the year is to have students write ShrinkLits about a piece of literature they've read during the year. I have a little book of them that's ages old; basically, it's a clever poem that summarizes the story. For example, the one on Beowulf starts, "Grendel's tastes are very plainish / Breakfast? Just a couple Danish." I also put out pieces of posterboard and let my seniors write advice to next year's class in the form of, "I've learned..."