How to effectively do readers' theater

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TamiJ, Jul 10, 2012.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

I have done readers' theater in the past, but not often enough. I really want to use it more next year. How do you do this? Do you buy a readers' theater? Do you just type it up from a story the students have read (which seams like a lot of work)? And, can students retell stories, write them, and do a readers' theater that way as well? Maybe all options or okay. I like the latter because it works on comprehension, writing, and fluency.

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2012

Have you tried googling it?

I have found that doing so pulls up so many great reader's theater scripts. The best part is that they are often based on pictures books your students will be familiar with.

I sometimes will cut and paste in into a new document to clean it up and make the fonts bigger and more kid friendly, but overall it's easy peasy. No need to spend any money. :)

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

Really? So I can find scripts online? I had not googled any, but I certainly will now. Thanks!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2012

I find many reader's theater scripts online for free as well.

I have also bought a few reader's theater books to use with my kids, they are fairly inexpensive if you plan to use them.

I don't see anything wrong with any of your options. I would try them all and see what you like.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 10, 2012

I have tons of reader's theater scripts, but I have never used them. :(

Honestly, reader's theater terrifies me. I don't have the slightest clue how to organize it, how much time to spend on it, etc. I would love to put on a mini production and invite parents.

7. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jul 11, 2012

I've done Reader's Theater with special materials, and I've used Instant Reader's Theater. My kids like the later better.

Directions for Instant Reader's Theater:
    http://ed-is-life.blogspot.com/

8. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 11, 2012

There are a ton online. I use them a lot for my kids who are struggling with fluency. I give them the scripts at the beginning of the week, we pick parts and they highlight their parts or write their lines on index cards. Then we spend some time each day practicing. They perform at the end of the week.

I'm sure you can get into much more but I only see my kids for 30 minutes every other day so I keep it simple. There are some really fun scripts out there!

9. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Jul 21, 2012

I want to try Reader's theare too. I have been looking on pinterest for ideas.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 21, 2012

There are TONS of scripts online. Reader's theatre is a great chance to have students practice reading fluently and with expression. Generally I divide students into mixed levelled groups and have them read the script together and choose parts. They will need some coaching on how to choose parts fairly. Then they work in small groups until everyone knows their part. I've never invited parents for the performance, but that's a nice idea.

For guided reading during this time I take the small groups and work on their performances with them. It's a lot of fun, and you will have a high level of student engagement!