How to dress for the interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by heavens54, Apr 26, 2014.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2014

As my interview approaches, I am starting to get nervous. I am an older applicant. I want to look young and energetic and ready for whatever might be thrown at me.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2014

How about a cardi and shell underneath in a popping color: turquoise, mango, lime...neutral skirt or slacks, nude heels.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 26, 2014

It's spring time, so I second Czacza's advice: something bright with neutral or black.

5. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Apr 26, 2014

As someone who is a young job seeker, I can honestly say that I see a lot of people my age that dress very plainly for being young. I'm talking all black suit, black heels, super boring. I get we have to dress conservatively, but we're teachers, not lawyers!

My point is for you heavens is that I highly doubt you'll look the least bit old! But I would second everyone else's advice that a suit with a bright color underneath would be good. My go to outfit is a black suit with a floral blouse underneath. And nude heels. Nude heels seem to be really "in" right now and that's what I've been wearing... Also maybe a bright bag!

Good luck! To me an older applicant is a shoo-in because you clearly have more knowledge than all of kids! : )

6. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2014

Is a scarf too fancy and distracting? We are not to dress how we dress when teaching, is the word I'm getting, right? Dress like we're going to a conference? Or church? On Easter Sunday?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2014

I dress how I described most of the time, truthfully. But yes, err on the side of polished, conservative with pops of color in a top or jewelry, professional kind of dress. Here in the Northeast, it's not uncommon to wear a suit.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 27, 2014

For the job I got I wore black pants, grey print cotton shirt, and a bright pink blazer. It was louder than most other interview clothes I used, but clearly it didn't hurt me.

9. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Apr 27, 2014

For my last interview, I wore a gray pencil skirt, black heels, bright shell top, and matching gray suit jacket.

10. vateacher300

vateacher300 Rookie

Apr 27, 2014

I have an interview tomorrow and think I'm going to wear a professional shift dress with a cardigan over top and flats. I typically wear pants, but want to switch it up for this one. Now on to the tricky question...do I need to wear panty hose?

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2014

Vateacher...I don't know the last time I wore pantyhose! I'd cream up if legs look dry or ashy...I also love Jergens Daily Glow for a little color, especially after the loooong winter we've had! Good luck on the interviews, y'all!

12. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

Topics like this make me happy to be a man. Interviewing? Wear a suit jacket, matching pants, button-down shirt with a tie, black shoes. None of this concern over colors, etc. :D

13. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 27, 2014

I second that! I wore a gray suit, white button-down shirt with a tie, and black shoes!!

Mix-and-match outfitting is a fun topic to discuss in math class!! 10 tops, 10 skirts, 10 pants, 3 shades of hose, 80 pairs of shoes (since one shade of color can come in different heights!!)..... women's wear is just more fun than men's apparel! :lol:

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2014

My husband used to be in the military where there was no flexibility in what to wear...now he LOVES choosing ties (he has a lot!) that complement the color of his shirt...he also likes French cuffs with cuff links. Shirts without French cuffs are monogrammed. He always looks GOOD.

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

Ties are the bane of my existence. The fact that my school is casual enough that me wearing a tie would make me look odd makes me extremely happy.

16. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 27, 2014

I rarely wear a tie when I teach! I might consider this more often because it would definitely change my routine from button-down shirt, black jeans, and black sneakers every day! :lol:

17. teach1

teach1 Companion

Apr 27, 2014

Wear something that you feel comfortable and confident in. Wear something that won't cause you to "fuss' when you are waiting for the interview, or that could be a distraction. I normally wear a dress that falls below my knees, a cardigan, and nice flats.

I also think this depends on your location... some districts are more formal than others.

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

I say whatever you are the most comfortable in. If you're pulling or tugging, it's not a good look!

I'm old fashioned; I think you can't go wrong with classic black pants and blazer, with a bright top and impeccable jewelry.

19. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 28, 2014

Yes, dress comfortably.... During my first ever interview, I wore an ill-fitting suit and remembered squirming in the chair just to get comfy! Add in some nervousness and the total package didn't look good at all. Upon reflection, I'm glad I didn't get the job there because then I wouldn't be at my present location! :D

20. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Apr 28, 2014

I think a scarf is fine!!! I wear scarves almost everyday. But I'm not sure how a scarf would look with a suit, depends on if it's tiny and you can tuck it into the suit jacket. If not the scarf might look good with a plain blouse and a cardigan? Wear whatever makes you feel confident!

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2014

You're a man?! Had no idea. Now I must totally recreate my image of you. :haha:

22. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 28, 2014

38/M. :lol:

23. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Apr 28, 2014

I always wear a tie when I teach - bow ties, in fact. They don't flap around, attract spills, or dangle when leaning over desks, and the kids really like them.

For an interview I wear the dress pants, dress shirt and nice shoes that I would wear teaching, and add a sport jacket for a bit more formality. I wear a long tie on an interview, because I don't want them to see how insouciant and eccentric I am until they've already hired me and it's too late!:lol: