How to do photographic still lifes.. help!

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by Jem, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 13, 2010

Hey guys!

You all are the experts. I'd like to create a professionally bound book of pictures with my kindergartners-they are in LOVE my digital camera and have been snapping pictures all day, every day.

To give the book focus, I'd like to work with them on still life photographs. I thought silly vegetables might be a fun theme-eggplants, potatoes, lettuce-they can 'dress' them up, put faces on them, make them look like animals, etc, and then take a nice posed picture of them.

Any thoughts on how to present a lesson around this, or even what supplies to have available for decorating the veggies? I'll be pulling them out and working with them one-on-one for the lessons, as we have several teachers in the room all day. So I can give all the help needed.

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

Mar 13, 2010

Sounds like you have it well planned. You may want to have a backdrop to place your still life in front of along with some fabric to drape and maybe a few small items or even a fancy plate to include for contrasting textures. None of that is absolutely necessary but having the back drop with your camera on a tripod will decrease a need for photo editing later. It won't eliminated the need, though.

I just finished a project where we were using pom-poms, pipe cleaners, wiggle eyes, and antiqued buttons. Those might be helpful.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2010

Jem, my husband is the photographer, not me. But I have learned quite a bit simply by being married to him for so long!

Play with lighting. Flash on, flash off, play with the sunlight and shadows in the room-- each change has the potential to radically change the way the photograph looks.

And take the same picture from varying perspectives-- get down one one knee and shoot up, then straight on, then down from standing on a chair, then off to the side a bit.

5. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 13, 2010

Why not make each scene with some kind of emotion too. You could have some sad carrots and cabbage, then the next photo could be of some excited eggplants and lettuce.

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 13, 2010

Definitely check out "How are you Peeling?: Foods with Moods" and other titles by the same author if you aren't already familiar with them.

7. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Mar 14, 2010

Like a pp said about playing with the lighting....have them think about ways to look at it. We can look at it from the front, the back, the top, the sides. It's a good way for them to think about things being a form that has many sides to look at!

8. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Mar 14, 2010

Jem - this is such a neat idea. The kiddos will love it!

9. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Mar 14, 2010

Btw - after the pictures are developed, could they create a wordless book that will allow them to work on storytelling skills?