How to do centers with flexible timing?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jessiiteach, Aug 29, 2013.

1. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Aug 29, 2013

I am STILL trying to figure out centers. I want to spend extra time with a different group each day, but the centers for the other groups all seem to end at different times. Some take the kids 5 minutes. Some take 10, some could take 30. How do you run centers with flexible timing?

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 29, 2013

I use a modified form of the Daily 5. Students don't have a choice as to how long their rotations last. If they complete a "word work" activity, I have task cards they can work with or they are always welcome to quietly read at their desk or complete any unfinished work or writing.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 29, 2013

I usually put several activities in their tubs-so if they complete one, there's another one they can do before we switch.

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 30, 2013

I used a check off sheet in first grade. It worked great for some groups, not so well for others.

I made a list of centers and labeled them with a picture (teacher drawn) and title. Kids were able to go from center to center as they chose. If they completed a center, they checked it off. Some centers, they had to have a teacher check off that it was actually complete. I also had "have to" and "choice" centers. Usually the "have to" were the ones a teacher had to check.

Oh, I also spent about 10 minutes explaining what the centers were. And I allowed collaborative work on some centers.

When I finished with the group I was working with, I took a few minutes to make sure everyone was doing fine, then back to a small group. What grade are you teaching?