How to distress after parent conflict

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Brookegillteach, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Brookegillteach

Brookegillteach New Member

Oct 8, 2021

I won’t go into details, but I had a major parent conflict today. Most of the issue was caused by admin decision that I had nothing to do with. Long story short, we had a meeting with me, parents and admin and it wasn’t pretty. This is my first major parent conflict. My question is, how do you let it go and move forward? I keep replaying things in my head and I feel like I’m going to be fixated on it. There is nothing more I can do about the situation, so how do I move on?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 11, 2021

Be gentle with yourself. Also, be gentle with the student. Make a deliberate decision to move forward by welcoming the student back into the fold. Resetting with the student will help you reset the entire situation.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Oct 12, 2021

I am sorry you are going through that experience. I remember that feeling when there was a parent conflict and it was hard to shake. In the short term, I'd try to distract myself when the feelings or thoughts replayed in my mind. I might say a prayer, do a Sudoku puzzle, or do something fun with a friend to get my mind off of it. Moving forward, you just have to find a way to separate the child from the parent in your head. Start each day like nothing happened with the child if you have no control over the situation. If you feel the parent lied, make sure you document conversations with them on email and meet with them with a witness. Over the years, I have had some conflicts that were stressful. ( Once I was responsible for the WRONG person's child not passing a class. :) It wasn't pretty either! Best wishes to you!

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 13, 2021

Don't take it personally.