How to Departmentalize 5th and 6th grade???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 773 Miles Away, Apr 16, 2011.

1. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Apr 16, 2011

My principal is entertaining the idea of having me teach just math to the entire 5th and 6th grade (2 classes each). I'm very interested in doing it, but only if it works logistically. If it means some class, or all classes, get screwed over because of timing problems, then I would rather not waste the student's time.

Does anybody do this and can anyone explain how to organize it? I am technically one of the 5th grade teachers, there's another 5th grade next door, and two 6th grades upstairs. The kids would come to my room... but when and where would my kids do science, social studies, and literacy?

I can imagine doing it if the whole 5th and 6th grade teachers took one subject each, but it seems like they only want me to focus on math and the others would do their own thing? Not sure if it's even possible. :dizzy:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 16, 2011

It's not if you are the only departmentalized class, unless they hire another fifth grade teacher....

It really depends on the length of your teaching times. We are departmentalized and in some cases, one teacher will teach math only while other teachers have multiple subjects.

So, maybe the other fifth grade teacher has literacy and social studies for both fifth grades and then the two fifth grades visit the sixth grade for science....

4. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 16, 2011

When I was in fifth grade, here is how it was departmentalized:
    Homeroom teacher had the class for half of the day (My homeroom teacher taught English and Social Studies)

Then we'd go to the math teacher, who taught Math and Science. Then after our end-of-the-day special, we'd go back to our homeroom.

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Apr 16, 2011

That's a tough one!

I've seen it split up with six periods of equal time length, two for literacy, two for math, one for science, and one for social studies.

Let's say you are Teacher A, and then we have teachers B, C, and D. Let's say the classes are 51, 52, 61, and 62 (5th grade 1 and 2, 6th grade 1 and 2).

Then the 6 periods could be something like:

Teacher A: all math
    1 51
    2 51
    3 52
    4 52
    5 61
    6 61

Teacher B: all literacy
    1 52
    2 52
    3 51
    4 51
    5 62
    6 62

Teacher C: Science/math
    1 61 sci.
    2 62 sci.
    3 62 math
    4 62 math
    5 51 sci.
    6 52 sci.

Teacher D: Literacy/SS

1 62 SS
    2 61 SS
    3 61 lit
    4 61 lit
    5 52 SS
    6 51 SS

Sorry if that seems too confusing. It's just a suggestion. I know it may not be ideal as some teachers would have to teach two subjects so you could always split it so each teacher has two subjects to make it fair, but I've seen it where math and lit each get twice as much time as science and SS, and this schedule would make it work with four teachers (obviously it could be changed to be a teacher for lit/sci and math/SS instead, just giving examples)

6. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Apr 17, 2011

Durring the time you are teaching their class math they are teaching your students a subject so each one takes on a subj. One Literacy/Lang arts one science one social studies.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 17, 2011

We have 7 30 minute teaching periods. Three are set aside for reading/writing, two for math, one for social studies, and one for science.

So I could only teach three math classes with this set up because 4 classes would need 8 teaching periods. Not sure how your times work out....

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 18, 2011

At the two schools I've taught at, they both have had departmentalized schedules. At my first school, I only taught science to 5th grade (4 sections). At my second school, I teach only science to grades 3 to 6 (8 classes in all). I really love being able to teach just one subject (though I incorporate math, writing, reading, etc into lessons) since its my strongest subject to teach.

I posted my schedule on this site a few weeks ago--- just go through my post history if you'd like to see it. :) My biggest struggle this year was planning for up to 5 different lessons in a day and planning out my classroom since students at 3rd grade need a different set up than students in 6th grade.

9. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2011

We are departmentalized ..

Last year we had 4 teachers for 6th grade and we each took a subject.

This year we have 9 teachers teaching 6-8th ..we all teach one 7th grade class.

It can work but you all need to be on board with who will be teaching what.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 19, 2011

I would love to fully departmentalize. I teach 6th-8th math, but we could do so much more 4th-8th. Not everyone is on board, though.