How to demonstrate leadership qualities for my introverted son?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by thesub, Mar 6, 2017.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Mar 6, 2017

Hi all: My son is 14 and is hearing-impaired and has some physical balance issues He manages to hear with cochlear implants but listening in a group/noisy situation is still very hard for him. He is also somewhat introverted, does not play school sports but takes private karate lessons. He is an asst. instructor in his karate school, has a first-degree black belt, is in school orchestra and is a generally B average student. He can make honor roll if we push him and monitor his work.

So under these circumstances, what should he do to show leadership qualities? I am not sure if he can organize people or lead an activity. Thank you so much for any ideas you might have . I cannot seem to come up with creative ideas!

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 6, 2017

Maybe he could ask for more duties at his karate school? Also, orchestra may give him a chance to be a section leader. Is he a freshman in high school? If so, he may have to spend a few years being a member of a group/team before being given a chance to lead.

Also, think about what leadership qualities you are looking to see. That will make a difference, as well.

4. thesub

thesub Comrade

Mar 6, 2017

Thank you, MissCeliaB. I am thinking of leadership qualities from the POV of college applications. He is in grade 8 in junior high.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 6, 2017

Wow, 8th grade is so early to think about college applications. I think his experiences with music and karate will be sufficient for that. In fact, during his freshman year let him just concentrate on keeping his grades up. Many freshmen struggle with that, and GPA is at least as important for college admissions, and maybe more important for scholarships. Let him come into leadership roles as they naturally present themselves. Really unless he is looking at highly selective colleges, leadership will not be a huge emphasis.

6. thesub

thesub Comrade

Mar 6, 2017

MissCeliaB, we will just look at state colleges, not any fancy colleges when the time comes. My son is not a multi-tasker - I am not sure if he can study well, rack up extra curriculars on his resume and do community service whereas my daughter was the other extreme - doing too many things. I am trying to find a balance. Thank you.