How to Decided Between Districts

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bartleby, Jul 15, 2015.

1. bartleby

bartleby Rookie

Jul 15, 2015

After struggling to get a bite for a long time, considering taking an IT position, and considering taking a middle school position, I got a wave of interviews in the area I would like to teach. They are all culminating to offers around the same time, with one offer made, one district that to me to call them if I got an offer from someone else, and two meetings with superintendents. I have weighed a lot of factors including:

- What year physics is taught at the school/ what level physics classes are offered/ what classes I would be teaching
    - Feel of the school dynamic based on interviews
    - Resources available for teaching at the school
    - Support for receiving other certification types (I would rather do technology than chemistry)
    - Commute and Pay

Any ideas on other things I should think about that I may not have even considered?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 15, 2015

Go with your gut.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 15, 2015

This is great advice.

5. bartleby

bartleby Rookie

Jul 15, 2015

Cool, thanks. That has worked out for me for all other types of jobs, I am glad to hear its the thing to do with teaching too. Thank you a whole bunch, it helps more than I could articulate.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 15, 2015

I would add a thing or two, if I may. Take a look at how many positions they are filling or had to fill this year. If it seems excessive, ask if there were recent changes to the administration. If not that, ask to know more about the student population. I always like to ask what happened to the person I will be replacing. Check out the salary range by going to NJEA.org, certifications and finding a job, and see where the starting salaries lie. They have two categories - districts with salaries above $40,000/year and another with salaries above $50,000/year. Look at both, as some in the lower categories have inched up into the upper category and no one has updated the charts.

Compute your travel time in the peak commuting hours - sometimes the difference between "whenever you want" and "got to get to work now" have vastly different outcomes. That may be more relevant here in NJ.

Find out something about your mentor and whether or not it will be someone in your department who can truly help you with your classes. Find out if they provide the teachers a laptop, or if you would need to have your own. I'm not fond of "there is a desktop in every room" since there are usually multiple people who want to use it.

If you have NJ specific questions, feel free to PM me!

I am so happy for you! You will end up being an example of AR succeeding.