How to deal with a teacher who oversteps bounds

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Larant, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Larant

Larant New Member

Apr 6, 2010

My sister's friend from church committed suicide and the funeral was held during the school day. After the funeral, she went out with some other teens from the church to Ponderosa where the chorus teacher saw them.

The chorus teacher reported her for skipping. When my sister told her she had been returning from a funeral, the teacher responded 'Well you obviously weren't that upset about it to be talking and laughing with your friends.'

The next week, this same teacher was telling the other students that she caught my sister skipping school.

I get the impression this teacher is power crazed - after all I found out she tried to get me suspended for skipping school two years after I graduated because she saw me in town during the the school day. (and she even had me in her class as a senior)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2010

This is an interesting first post...

Did your sister bring a note from home excusing her from school for the funeral? That should clear up any misconception on the teacher's part.

4. Larant

Larant New Member

Apr 6, 2010

Yes - she had turned it in beforehand and been on the excused list for the day of the funeral. The teacher is aware of that.

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 6, 2010

I'm not sure there is much you can do about the callously ignorant statement she made to your sister. However, you could go to the principal about the accusation of your sister skipping school and explain this same teacher tried to report you for skipping school two years after you graduated.

Just because your sister was openly weeping and sobbing in the restaurant doesn't mean she skipped the funeral or didn't care about her friend. It is very likely she and the others were remembering the "good times" they had with their friend. Also, attending a funeral is a show of respect to the departed and their family, even if your emotional attachment isn't that strong.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 6, 2010

I agree with Cerek.

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2010

Are you also a teacher in this school?

8. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Apr 7, 2010

Wow, I would ignore her and just move on. There's nothing she can do if your sister was excused.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2010

I think I would ignore it as well. If your sister already turned in the note, then the school is aware of your sister's absence and the reason. As far as the teacher commenting about the absence to other students, that seems very wrong. Is this in a high school? If so, maybe your mom should have a meeting with the teacher and if that doesn't help, then she can go to the principal. I don't think you should be involved, however.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2010

What was the chorus teacher doing at the Ponderosa during school hours????

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 7, 2010

That's my question as well.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2010

I have an hour duty free lunch. We go out to nice restaurants for bdays, shopping in downtown, out for coffee...(You'd never catch me in Ponderosa though, sorry!)...and if I saw students there, I wouldn't question their presence. Our middle school kids with parent permission can go downtown for lunch, high school kids typically go out, so teachers wouldn't question kids being in a local restaurant...

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2010

But then couldn't it also be the sister's duty free lunch period?

14. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Apr 7, 2010

I always laugh at any teacher who thinks the appropriate punishment for skipping school is a suspension... not that your sister did that.

It is one thing for the teacher to suspect your sister as guilty, but it is another to talk about it overtly.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2010

That's my point...why couldn't a kid be in a restaurant at lunch? I generally wouldn't even think twice about it...although I do crack up a bit when I see kids eating lunch in the nice Italian restaurant in town (tablecloths, waiter service, really NICE food- not pizza). Teachers go there for birthday lunches...but then again maybe so are the kids!:lol: