How to deal with a teacher who bullies my child?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by kass, Dec 22, 2014.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2015

What was the skill being assessed on the quiz?

2. kass

kass Rookie

Jan 2, 2015

I hate to think that, believe me. However, during our conversation about the test the teacher seemed to be upset. The next week my child received 100% negative grade for behavior . The week after - 66%. ( there were always 100% positive reports since Sept.) Then my kid was the only one in class without a book. My kid is sure that it is his fault, and doesn't understand why Ms. ....... stopped joking, smiling etc. I never said anything bad about the teacher to my child. I'm trying to understand what went wrong and how to solve this situation. However, I don't feel there is understanding or support from the teacher.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 2, 2015

I once spent three days on rounding with my kiddos, and then got an email from a parent asking why I would include rounding on a test when I had never even used the word in class.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 2, 2015

I agree with this. I really think this is an issue of not knowing how to grade the assessment. Was it the first math test given? She made a big mistake passing it back without checking with other teachers first about the grading, but I feel kind of sorry for her making errors with everyone's tests. I'm a 3rd year teacher, so I sympathize with new teacher problems.

The book situation is really weird. If it were me and I came up short, I would have just given the student a book out of the library or come up with some other alternative. That seems like a lack of common sense. I would definitely get some answers about that.

I wouldn't assume your child is being targeted...but I suppose you never know. It sounds like everyone's tests were wrong. And who knows how she passed the books out. She may not have actually skipped him intentionally.

5. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jan 2, 2015

6. kass

kass Rookie

Jan 2, 2015

7. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jan 2, 2015

Well, if your child's district uses Go Math, then I believe the teacher (or district) probably selected only 5 questions from the publisher's test for her Chapter 4 Assessment. I suspect that she also used the answer to grade. That would explain the confusion with the tourist problem.

8. kass

kass Rookie

Jan 2, 2015

Yes, you 're absolutely right: Assessment guide , Chapter 4.

9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 2, 2015

I think it's possible that, being a new teacher, she may have just been marking answers according to the teacher's guide, without taking a moment to notice that some students may have arrived at the same answer using a method other than what is shown in the teacher's guide. I've made that mistake before... Grading so fast that I looked only for the same answer as what was marked in my guide. Luckily for me, however, I realized that some students arrived at correct answers using other methods BEFORE I sent the tests home. Maybe your kid's teacher just didn't catch this due to inexperience.

Also, it's very possible that what your kid is telling you about the conversations he has had with his teacher (regarding the book incident and the instructions for the test) may be his best recollection, but it may not be the whole story. As a teacher, I'm sure you know that what kids tell their parents is often not what we would hope they tell their parents, as they often leave portions of the story out, twist our words, blame others, or outright lie. I'm not saying your kid has done this at all, let alone intentionally. I'm just saying it's possible, and, as a teacher, I would hope that you would give another teacher the benefit of the doubt by talking with her in person to get the whole story before making such a serious accusation (bullying) against her.

Furthermore, I think it's entirely possible that the teacher didn't pass out the books in a linear order, so your kid sitting in the middle isn't necessarily a logical reason for why he couldn't have been overlooked accidentally.

I'm not saying you're wrong about any of this. I'm just saying that there are two sides to every story. If you remember your first year of teaching at all, be kind and approach this teacher with compassion and wisdom. At the moment you discover that she truly is bullying your kid, if that's what you discover - through your own eyes and ears, not only your kid's, then, by all means, make the accusation and talk to the principal. Just make sure you know for sure first.

10. NewTeacherNJ

NewTeacherNJ Rookie

Jan 3, 2015

^ This. I don't agree either but that's state testing for you. 5 or more you round up so the test is going to expect 40 not 35. While logical reasoning can assume either is the right answer standardized testing will not. And after all, as you know, that is all anyone seems to be judging teachers on these days.

I agree with Bella as well. Kids don't tell the whole story sometimes - for whatever reason. I think its best to request a conference to discuss your concerns. If you feel the conference does not go well or does not meet your expectations then request one with the admin. For all we know you're child is correct, but you won't know anything but speculation until you speak to her. Bring in the test, tell her you genuinely don't understand why its wrong and can she explain. We had multiple parents complain about grading this year as we move to common core and more "rigor." We can't do anything about it until politicians get out of the classroom.

11. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jan 3, 2015

The test the teacher used can be found online. Information about the lessons in the chapter can also be found online. Not suggesting that anyone spend time searching for it, but I did.

Apparently, the teacher didn't use the entire test. The question about the tourists had 2 or 3 additional questions that guided the student to use a particular method to solve. The teacher didn't include those additional questions. If the teacher gave verbal directions to solve in a particular way, and the student did not solve it using that method, then the answer is wrong per the answer key. If the teacher did not give those verbal directions, then there are other ways to solve and those answers should have been graded accordingly.

The question about the circus food was solved incorrectly by dividing and the teacher was correct in marking it wrong. The only lesson in Chapter 4 that asks questions framed as "About how many/much" is Lesson 5. That lesson focuses on using compatible numbers to determine a reasonable estimate. IMO, it seems a bit much to expect 4th graders to note the phrasing and solve accordingly, but that's what was expected.

Unfortunately, I think the situation of a teacher getting a new class in November, with a new-to-her curriculum, and perhaps testing kids on skills that were taught by other teachers, created a huge mess. I feel a little sorry for her.

12. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jan 3, 2015

Regarding the negative behavior reports, have you contacted the teacher to find out what those behaviors are?

Is your child aware that you contacted the teacher about her errors on the math test?

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2015

Can you explain the "100% negative grade for behavior"? Is that like a zero?

14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2015

Wouldn't it depend on what place the student is supposed to round to? If they are supposed to round to the nearest whole number, then the OP's child is correct.

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 3, 2015

For how the elementary standards are typically interpreted... no. It's rounding to find mental math. 245/7 (or 35x7) is not considered mental math, even if it actually is mental math for some kiddos.

16. kass

kass Rookie

Jan 5, 2015

They are using class DOJO. Since September there were always 100% positive reports. My kid always participates in discussions, helps others, etc. and gets points. Right after the test incident everything has changed. Besides, the teacher told my kid that she will not get any rewards for a while ( such as bookmarks, pens, etc.) even if she has more points than other students. Also, if she behaves good, she will not get point for that, because the teacher wants to give a chance to other students. Honestly, I don't get it. This is the first time when my child doesn't want to go to school.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2015

Have you called to arrange a conference with the teacher yet?

18. kass

kass Rookie

Jan 5, 2015

Today is the first day of school. I got these news ( "no more rewards") today. Is this normal?

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2015

I have no idea if it's normal or not. Keep in mind that what you're hearing is coming through the filter of your child, and that filter doesn't always produce the same information that you'd get if you heard directly from the teacher.

You need to call TODAY, RIGHT NOW, and set up a conference to meet with this teacher.

20. kass

kass Rookie

Jan 5, 2015

I did. I need to prepare, because this is going to be the strangest p/t conference I've ever had. I don't want to sound negative, but it looks that I have nothing but complains at this time.

21. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2015

As a teacher, you know that you try to find something positive to begin the meeting. Do you have any positive comments that apply to this teacher?

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2015

I'm confused. How many kids do you have in this teacher's class?

23. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 5, 2015

I believe you mentioned previously that your child was transitioned to this class with this teacher in November, correct? It's possible that the new teacher and the former teacher have different classroom management plans and/or different expectations. While it would be odd to see such a change had your child been in with the same teacher the entire time, I don't find it surprising at all that you'd see a difference considering there was a change in teacher. This still doesn't mean there isn't a problem that you should be concerned about, but it's something to think about before you accuse the teacher of picking on your child.

24. kass

kass Rookie

Jan 6, 2015

Just one. Of course :)

25. kass

kass Rookie

Jan 6, 2015

That's what I'm telling to myself - there is no problem, it's just a coincidence...However, this teacher was also placing 100% positive reviews since the day one, just like the previous teacher. The change was so rapid, right the next week after our disagreement over that test.