How to create a website

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by ozteach, Dec 1, 2006.

1. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Dec 1, 2006

Can someone give me advice on how to create a website? Is there a program that works well? I am pretty clueless about it, but have admired some of yours and would love to have one for my class.

Any suggestions appreciated!:thanks:

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 1, 2006

I still have mine with Geocities. It's free, easy to use, and serves my needs.

4. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 1, 2006

Schoolnotes.com. You don't have to know anything much about the internet to have a really nice one here, and if you do have some html skills, you can make it even nicer. But to have a good website, no, with Schoolnotes you don't even have to know how. The site guides you through the entire process. I lOVE it. Go there and visit some random sites; it's quite impressive.

5. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Dec 1, 2006

I wanted the freedom to create my own pages, so I used Frontpage. It was pretty easy...feel free to take a look - www.missliess.com. I am not currently using it, but I can change it to suit my needs. I bought a template that made it even easier.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 1, 2006

http://www.classroomwebsites.com/

I needed a site with lots of pages and this allows me to add pages, webquests, links, and documents. I've had lots of parents print some documents because I'll find the printouts in the kids homework folders. You can do a lot of customizing if you want to, and you can even purchase your own domain name if you want.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 4, 2006

I used to use FrontPage Express, but found I have a lot more freedom with Microsoft Publisher. I'm working on converting my webpage over to Publisher, so some of my links are still on FrontPage (on the right side of the 2nd page). Go check mine out and see what you think. It's pretty simple.

8. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Dec 4, 2006

Thanks so much. I have Front Page, but wasn't aware that Publisher was also used for this. Thanks again.

9. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Dec 4, 2006

Miss W,

your website is one that I viewed earlier and it is awesome! Does it take long each week/month to maintain? Did it take long to set up? You have done a brilliant job!

10. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Dec 4, 2006

Thanks - Frontpage is a program I have, so I may experiment with it a little. Your website is great - very informative and personal.

11. katenar

katenar Cohort

Dec 4, 2006

I too use Frontpage. I knew nothing of publishing webpages when I started but Frontpage was so easy to learn. Once I became used to it, I was able to experiment and create my webpage.

Katie

www.kyrene.org/staff/kjensen

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 5, 2006

My Monday News is something that I just convert each week. I already create it as a newsletter for my students. I do try and update the site each week. It usually takes about 30 minutes to update everything. If I'm running out of time, I don't update my pictures (which I haven't in the last month-need to get on that).

13. nbgallimore

nbgallimore New Member

Dec 6, 2006

Dreamweaver MX 2004

There are several places that you can go to get a free website, even website templates. However, I have been using Dreamweaver MX 2004, and I absolutely love it. It takes a little time to learn, but this program can do anything that you can imagine. I have been using it for about a year now, and my site just keeps growing and growing.
    There are a million free resources for anyone wanting to learn how to create a webpage, plus you can download free templates, and just insert your custom information.
    The bad thing is that you have to get your own domain name (server space), but the good news is that sever space is very cheap; plus you don't have to fight unwanted soliciting.

Wishing you good luck on your venture.

nbgallimore

14. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Dec 7, 2006

microsoft publisher, goes along with front page just do your page and save it as a web page, you can hyperlink all the stuff together. not hard.

15. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Dec 8, 2006

I use MS Word and save as a webpage in Word. I keep my HTML pages on my hard drive so that I can access them at any time to make changes in MS Word. Once I'm done with my changes in Word, I do a webapge preview and then do a view sources. I find the HTML code I need, copy it, and then paste that into my HTML webpage at Comcast using their personal editor. (I use the space my ISP gave me to host my sites. I have a fair amount of space and pay ZERO to use it.)

16. lilkarateboy07

lilkarateboy07 New Member

Jan 5, 2007

a good program to use would be Dreamweaver

17. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jan 5, 2007

Ugh...Frontpage.

Dont use it...dont fall to the dark side! When I was in college, I was told up and down not to use Frontpage because it uses HTML like crazy for no good reason.

Ive been trying to adapt Mrs. Renz's mastery club information and make a webpage of my own by copying and pasting her HTML code from her mastery club page. However, the program she used (Frontpage) went nutso on the HTML so I have to go in manually and delete most of the coding that is in there because the webpage that I use at freeservers.com wont let me paste it in there because the size is too big. Each line in the webpage has about 20-30 lines of coding...telling the browser what font to use and when to stop using it, which doesnt really make sense because it looks like same font is used on the whole MC part of the page, it SHOULD only paste a code for the font at the beginning of the page and thats it...done...finito. I copied and pasted the entire source code of HTML her MC page uses into MS word in order to edit it...152 pages of code I get to go through.

18. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Jan 5, 2007

MisterG...not sure what version of frontpage you are using, but I have a number of different websites and use frontpage 2003 for nearly all of them (except the ones that are solely blogs) and you do not need to know ANY html. There are 3 different screens to look at...design...code...preview.

Design mode is as simple as it gets. WYSIWYG- (what you see is what you get). If you want to use code you can, but you do not have to. Also, you can view a split screen so you can edit code and see what you get in the design atthe same time.

Maybe you were using an older version or maybe some type of limited version, but I highly recommend frontpage.

--Adam

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 5, 2007

FrontPage Express requires no HTML knowledge. It's pretty easy to use. It is, however, limited in what you can do.

20. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jan 5, 2007

Adam,
    I think I probably wasn't clear enough on my previous post. Mrs. Renz uses Frontpage to create her webpage. I don't. I just use templates at freeservers for basic pages and on many other pages, I just put in HTML coding by hand. If I could find Dreamweaver at a cheap price, I would definately use that as it is a great program.

My comment was that her version of frontpage (whatever it was) went overkill on the HTML coding. When you create a page using HTML (which frontpage does), that HTML tells the browser what to do. If you want to, for example...make the font a certain font...then you tell it so. However, on Mrs. Renz's page...her frontpage used coding for each line of text on there...something that takes up tons of space and is not needed as all you need to do is give the command for everything to be in a certain font at the beginning of the code and then at the end of the code, you tell it to stop using that font. Line 1 would tell it to use a font and then tell it to stop...line 2 would tell it to use a font and then tell it to stop...line 3.....; when all that needed to be done was before line 1, tell the page to use a certain font.

The reason its driving me nuts (because I have to erase the coding) is that there is such a large amount of coding, that I cant cut and paste it into my website as their system says it has too much text. I need to erase about 95% of the actual coding and it will fit...FP just uses a lot of stuff over and over and with more and more HTML coding (that is unneeded, just repeated), it is more likely to cause an issue in the future. When you make a page with FP...it converts that into the needed HTML...however it just uses too much of it for no good reason.

21. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Jan 5, 2007

Have you ever heard of www.academicsuperstore.com ?

You can get amazing discounts of tech stuff if you are a teacher. I buy a lot of software through them.

--Adam

22. Dutch

Dutch Rookie

Jan 5, 2007

G'day.

I started with Frontpage and stuff like that but found it didn't work too well. Either that, or I didn't work too well with it. Jury's still out on that one, but I don't like my chances of receiving the innocent verdict...

So, basically I did a few searches on the internet and learnt enough in a short enough space of time to cobble together a simple enough website. I make my own images and whatnot, so there I have a bit of an advantage in making it look better than it otherwise probably should. But my sites are still basically just a bunch of tables tacked together with the joins smoothed over with the html equivalent of Selleys No-More Gaps.

My site's not really a teaching or classroom site, of course, but a webcomic. But the process is still the same.

Anyway, it's fooled my school kids who've wandered over for a look into thinking I'm a big wheel in website design...

That's got to be a positive...

Cheers.

23. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 5, 2007

There are fantastic FREE templates all over the 'net. Don't pay for one!

24. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Jan 8, 2007

Thanks everyone. I've been working with Frontpage for a few weeks and it seems okay, but I like the freebies like schoolnotes as well. Thanks for all the great advice.

25. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2007

I use Frontpage and had Yahoo host it for $11/mth because I wanted my domain and a ad free site. Recently, I had to cut costs and stop paying. I think I'll look at a couple of sites listed in this post.

26. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jan 8, 2007

(h2omane takes a deep breath)

I will tell you a little secret

(h2omane takes another deep breath)

You can look at every websites skeleton in Internet Explorer, by clicking on:

view > Source

Way back in 1997 when I was in grade 10 as a student I found out this little secret and learned from reading the code.

I realize that you dont have time to do this but if you want the fastest way to get a webpage copy and paste the source code file and then re-word and title the page yourself.

(H2omane listens closely to the millions of people whispering saying this is stealing and should not be done)

I agree that you are not doing the work, but listen to this statement and you might change your mind.

My buddy in grade 12 BOUGHT a website designed by a professional for 600 dollars and it was copied and pasted from a page in sweden or denmark. the way he found out was I looked in his source file and say tags that are used for comments such as <!-- that were written in another language and then at the bottom had the original webpage author's name at the bottom, which the 600 dollar guy forgot to take out. I searched for his name with the MSN.com website back then and it redirected me to many websites from sweden or denmark.

(h2omane listens again for the whispers)

If you want to see my page for my portfolio I will display it here.

http://ca.geocities.com/b_skinners_portfolio/

I did take the skeleton, but redesigned the color scheme, and created all the graphics on the site by hand using photoshop and corel photopaint.

Also I have not paid one cent to any class or course on how to do any graphics, or html code. It just takes time and effort to get the ball rolling.

Let your kids fix it up, they have the energy, and if you show them the source that will be able to take it on fully.

Best of luck :D

And if anyone wants more information on web authoring, go to my site and email me through the "email Mr. Skinner" link.

I would be HAPPY to share any tips and tricks I know for html code, photoshop and photopaint.

Clear skies,
    Mr. Skinner

(h2omane smiles)

27. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jan 8, 2007

I think you are right. I started making webpages when I worked at a radio station when I was in my mid teens and I made a site for the specialty show I made. Then I started using free templates and then tweaking them into my own. All you need to do is play with the color and text and you can easily have a basic page set up. Then you just remember how to add links and images and that even gives you more at your fingers. From there, you can putz with adding little do-dads into the html to make it really pop out. I think it is a lot more fun working with HTML hands on than just to use a page maker...because you know what is going on and you can easily find the mistakes and issues as well as feeling like somewhat of a geek at the same time!

28. Dutch

Dutch Rookie

Jan 9, 2007

Oh, yeah, View Source is a great way to pinch html code for yourself, because you know it probably works! And besides, it isn't stealing cos if you knew what you were doing with html in the first place then you'd probably code your page similarly anyway, eh?

I've been known to pinch html code from various websites when setting up and adjusting my own webpage. Nothing wrong with that approach if you know what you are looking for.

29. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Jan 13, 2007

If you want to try something new and different, a blog post is the way to go. I started blogging on TeacherLingo.com and I love it. It's really easy to set it up and have your own blog. I had tried to do a website but was never really successful. Blogging is a lot less work.

30. mhirsch

mhirsch Companion

Jan 14, 2007

31. sarsah3

sarsah3 Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I really like you website -- who do you have your webpage hosted through. I have created mine through Publisher, but I don't know where to host it.

32. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 19, 2007

First, contact your district office and see if they are supplying space for classroom homepages (they're free!).
    Next, contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and ask if they give free home page space for their customers -- most do!
    You can create a web page in almost any program. Different hosting companies have different rules about how they want pages uploaded and how they must be named. Not only do you have to upload the page you have created, you must also upload each individual graphic (picture) that you placed on that page. Your graphic names, etc. MUST all match, or you will end up with just a red X where the picture should have been.

Again, I have said this several times in other threads, but it is still true. Check the free offerings that are out there before you spend any money! I you just have to have a domain name, fine, spend that money, but still look for free web space to host your files.

33. mhirsch

mhirsch Companion

Aug 20, 2007

I host with aplus.net

34. haikulsprez

haikulsprez New Member

Aug 20, 2007

Try haiku LMS

Give this site a try. www-dot-haikuls-dot-com Signing up is easy and free. I think you'll like the easy drag & drop CMS and other features, all designed with speed and ease in mind.

35. mbfenner

mbfenner Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

I always liked lunar pages. 24/7 support, free software and free domain for life. Many discount packages are available depending on your needs. Here's a coupon 25offhosting you can use with this link that will give you 25 bucks off a year. www.lunarpages.com/id/educa20