How to create a classroom website

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jun 11, 2012

I am technologically challenged, to put it nicely. Our school allows a class webpage but I think all info must be given to the teacher in charge and then you must wait for someone to add it to your page.
    This would work for basic information,but there would be no way of keeping things like homework assignments and upcoming events posted and current.

How do you get started creating a website for your classroom? Can anyone give some advice to a confused teacher?? Thanks.

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2012

Don't bother with a classroom website.

Make sure you have good email addresses of all parents, or as many as you can get. If they don't have email, see if you can find out their mobile phone # and provider so you can send them text messages via email.

Using your address book, create a group for your class.

Once a day, type a quick message with homework, events etc. and send it to everyone on the list.

FAR MORE EFFECTIVE THAN A WEBPAGE!!!

Many parents these days do not "go to webpages" anymore. They might follow a link that is in a text, email, or facebook post, but most electronic information comes to them via messages on their phones.

I had a link to my web page on my daily email, but most important info was in the body of the email. Unless I decided to get very creative and eloquent in my email, it was also far less time consuming than keeping a web page updated.

Oh, and having to give the info to the teacher in charge and wait for them to update your page is the dumbest thing I've read in the last 72 hours. What do they think this is? The late 1990's?

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2012

A webpage is nice for parents before school starts. They like to learn a little about the teacher and calm the nerves of their child. But it definitely can be a pain to upkeep, especially when so few check it. They do check daily e-mail's though.

I suggest starting small. Keep it simple until you get a hang of it and then slowly add to it.

5. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jun 11, 2012

Sarge,
    I think the idea of having another teacher put your info on the class webpage is to control what goes onto our school website. Understandable, but not practical. Especially since once it is ok'd by the teacher in charge, it is assigned to students in a high school class who actually do this in class. It is NOT for frequent updates.

I do NOT want to do daily emails, just because I don't want to feel the pressure if I am not able to keep up with it. I type a weekly newsletter now and send it home, but so few parents read it. I was just thinking if I had a webpage where upcoming tests and announcements could be posted, I wouldn't have to type out and copy a newsletter each week. Maybe that's not too practical anymore, either. Guess I'll keep pondering this....

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2012

I use blogger (for my teacher site as well as a classroom "website"). It's free and is very easy to use. What I love about it is that I post the links I want my kids to use in lab and they can easily access them without typing in URLs...they can also do so at home.

I also agree that it's great to have before the school year starts, but love the idea of a daily email.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 11, 2012

weebly.com is super user friendly.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2012

I used to use weebly.com (I love it!) but I started having problems with it and the school filter last year. Certain pages within my pages were getting blocked for no apparent reason.

I started using Edmodo. It's very easy to use and my students like it. There's also a way to give parents access to the site. One thing I like about the site is that it's basically completely private, since the only people who can see your page are people who have been given a special access code. Check it out. I think you'll like it.

9. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jun 12, 2012

To save on paper with weekly newsletters and such, we just started using goggle docs to be able to share with parents this year....I'm so excited about it! I can save documents for parents who have access to google to print and review as needed. I'm still learning how to lock so the documents can't be changed, but it's a learning curve.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 12, 2012

I love Edmodo, too.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 12, 2012

Sarge & Iheartrecess - I have considered a blog, but wonder if there is a way to automate sending out update links to parents? I'm lucky in that I send homework packets out once per week, but I agree that I think many more of my parents would pay attention to "school stuff" if they got a notification on their phones. I don't, however, want to have to update it daily. any suggestions anyone?

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2012

I started a thread on the same subject last year:
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=138693

My entire school ended up switching to gmail.com over the course of this year, and all teachers were asked to start a page. I took the stuff I had saved from myteacherpages.com and just cut and pasted it onto the gmail site. There aren't a lot of cutesy graphics, but it's free, so it's an easy tradeoff. It's easy to use and easy to change.

13. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 13, 2012

First of all, find out what your school wants as far as a web page. We are required to post certain information on our school web page. Also, find out if you can enter your own information - it is not difficult. I update my page every couple of weeks, and it does include my lesson plans. I also use my grading program to send out weekly emails to all parents and students.

14. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jun 13, 2012

I love edmodo too! :)

15. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 13, 2012

I use edublogs.

16. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 13, 2012

Sarge, how do you send text messages via email? I think this would be a perfect way to communicate with parents in my school :)

17. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2012

Blogger is simple to use. I have a professional blog and tried to do a class site this year and I struggled to keep up with the class site. I will not be continuing with the class site....

Good luck to you!
    jeannie

18. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 5, 2012

With MobileMe gone, my iWeb grade level website is also gone, so I am looking for a new host - not wanting to pay a lot or reinvent the wheel - just want to move existing site to new host.

My PTO gives me a little money each year, but paying for a host will eat that up pretty quickly, thus the search for a free hosting site. I also don't see the need to redo my site since it has worked for me for 4 years....any ideas? Edmondo? Blogger?

Thanks in advance!!!

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2012

Someone just told me about Remind 101 or Reminder 101...It sounds like it's free, and you can send out mass text messages. Look it up online, and sorry that I can't remember the exact name.

20. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 5, 2012

Wow thanks! I just signed up, it seems great. Remind 101:D

21. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 5, 2012

Woohoo thank you! I'm from a low-income district, so a lot of the parents don't have internet access. This will be perfect!

22. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2012

Great MsMullenjr and BumbleB, I hope that site becomes useful for the two of you.