How to choose~K or 1st?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by classemom, Apr 4, 2007.

1. classemom

classemom Rookie

Apr 4, 2007

:confused:
    Hi everyone! I am new and have a tough question. I just graduated in Dec. and had an interview Monday and was offered the job! I am so excited!

The problem is, even though I was interviewd for 1st grade , by a panel of first grade teachers....(that is the only resignation they have at this time)....there is also going to be a Kinder opening coming up. The principal mentions this everytime we speak, and after I was hired said we would talk about that later.

I student taught in first grade at this school, and I had worked as an aide at the school two years ago before quitting to finish my degree...so I know everyone! The kinder teachers have talked to me about teaching with them and the first grade team has been so wonderful and supportive too, and made me feel so welcome.

I did my field base experience the semester before student teaching in Kinder, at a different school...so I have experience in both...and I love both.

I have a feeling I will be asked which I prefer...and I am at a loss as to how to choose!

How do I decide between Kinder or First...and how do I do it without hurting anyone's feelings?

Thanks so much!
    ~td

3. 4monthcountdown

4monthcountdown Comrade

Apr 4, 2007

That is a good problem to have! I think it depends on your personality. I taught K for 3 years and 1st for 2 years. Personally I think K is easier to teach and more fun. 1st grade is when they put everything they learned in K into practice. A lot of skills are taught. If they were behind in K, they will likely be even more behind in 1st. If you can deal with the "neediness" of Kindergarteners I would choose K. But if you would like to work with students that are a little more independent you might think about 1st.

4. classemom

classemom Rookie

Apr 5, 2007

Thank you so much for the advice!

I may be worrying for nothing....they may not even go there, but I just have a feeling and wanted to be prepared, ya know? It is hard...but I will be happy either way!

Thanks again!:)

5. classemom

classemom Rookie

Apr 5, 2007

I talked with the school secretary today and asked her if she thought they would move me and she said not unless I requested it...so I am more settled now, I just needed to know one way or the other! I am so excited! Any tips?

6. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Apr 5, 2007

I am in the same boat! Except they are giving me the option of Half Day Pre-K or Kinder. I have never taught Kinder but it might be challenging? Does anyone have any advice?

7. classemom

classemom Rookie

Apr 5, 2007

It is so hard to choose! I was glad when I was told as long as I didn't request it, I am just going to stay put....it is so stressful trying to decide....I made an old fashion pro/con list...but always came up with a tie! haha!

Some things to think about would be....do they have afternoon and morning Pre-K, if so that is like 2 sets of students and doing the same lessons twice a day...how would you feel about that?

And Kinder....it would be all day, but one set of kids.

Goodluck to you!
    TD:)