How to choose an appropriate story book for your Ss

Discussion in 'Multiage' started by FisherWu, Jul 2, 2011.

1. FisherWu

FisherWu New Member

Jul 2, 2011

As a novice teacher in elementary school, I need some suggestions about how to choose an appropriate story book for my students. They are all EFL low-achievers. I want to do a storytelling in my first class and make learning English become an interesting task for them in order to enhance their learning motivation.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2011

Find a book that will talk to their interests. Are many of your students interested in sports? Choose a sports book. Do they love animals? Choose an animal book.

When working with EFL students, you may want to choose a book that has English and their native language. A book that combines or uses both languages.

4. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jul 12, 2011

I would choose books with lots of details about the topic. Make sure that the book is large enough for the kids to see. Then I would proceed with a picture walk naming things in the pictures. The main idea is to introduce lots of vocabulary to the group. Then proceed to read the book. It's important to read the book numerous times. After you have shared the books a few times, ask the children to name items as you point to them and then proceed to asking some questions. The kids need the vocabulary first to be able to answer questions.