How to challenge Gifted & Talented student (ELA)

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by allaragallagher, Oct 13, 2015.

1. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Oct 13, 2015

Hi all:

Quick question. I have one student who is above and beyond. She was in my honors-level English course last year, and I have her again this year. She is clearly gifted and talented when it comes to writing. She gets 100s on her papers. I grade for both content and grammar.

Last year I wrote a letter to her parents about how great she is, and I've sent in her short-stories to writing contents/scholarships. It's not like I haven't expressed how impressed I am with her. She doesn't seem bored with my class, but I want to CHALLENGE her.

I can't figure out how! The feedback that I usually give students, she doesn't need. She is already writing on a college level. I don't want to make her to extra work, but I really think she should be doing more. Any suggestions?

My school does not have anything above my honors-level course and we do not do Gifted & Talented. Thanks!

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 13, 2015

I've had this student, too. One of my colleagues used the student as her editor for her college essays. Haha.
    Looking back, I wish I would have contacted the nearest university and asked to meet with someone in their writing center (the place college students go to get feedback before submitting essays) and asking for rubrics and assignments just to get an idea of what university writing would expect of her. Then, seeing if I could tailor assignments for her based on that info.
    I teach Eng Comp I for a community college, but my student would have tested out of that class.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 14, 2015

I have a student like this for science. I just gave her a list of competitions she can complete projects for and apply for.