How to break my no name student

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by heavens54, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2010

It is a daily offense. I usually have him stay in the classroom for a few minutes during recess to ponder his crime. He isn't learning. This has been, what, four months now? He does other things that indicate not listening, not following directions. Haven't been able to break him yet, but I did get him to keep a clean desk, so I know he is trainable...this is fourth grade student. Thanks.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2010

Before the students turn in a paper, I have them circle their name on the paper. You could also have him sort the papers each day. That way he has to check that his name is on his.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2010

Another thing you could do to make him more independent is to attach a checklist to his desk that he consults before he turns in papers. You could make a list similar to this:
    1. Name on paper
    2. Answered all questions
    3. Used proper punctuation

I have used this type of checklist and it has worked to make the child think before rushing over to turn the paper in.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 21, 2010

If you've tried everything else (try the positive reinforcement first) then you might try this.

"Ah, Johnny, I see you forgot your name on the paper. You must need some practice, so please write your name 50 times, and your _____ (insert recess, specials, fun time, centers time, etc) will begin when you have finished writing your name 50 times."

Okay, I admit it -- I can be a meanie.

6. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 21, 2010

By Christmas, I start just not grading any assignments that don't have names on them. When I hand them back out, someone will as "Well where's my paper? I know I turned it in."
    "It is probably in the recycle bin because I didn't want to waste my time grading it if I couldn't give credit to someone."

7. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Dec 21, 2010

This one is immune to punishment. Look into the Bullseye Game from Whole Brain Teaching. I have used this with students who would not give me the time of day without cursing, and seen a tremendous turnaround. It is easy, and free by the way, as well as very effective.

8. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2010

I am concerned that the contract route would give this student the "special" treatment he is seeking. He always thinks that the rules for everyone else do not apply to him, that is why he chooses over and over to ignore them. He isn't a "bad" kid, just a repeat offender of doing whatever he darn well pleases and it is getting on my nerves. And yes Powerteacher, he is overall immune to the consequences. I will look up your suggestion. Thanks.

9. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Dec 22, 2010

The main point to the game is to teach the kid to self assess, to see himself through your eyes. This is a skill lacking in most kids who are immune to punishment.

You use a small reward, that the kid will earn. The student will get points during the private game not by behaving better, but by accurately showing that he understands how you would rate his behavior.

Don't worry, the better behavior follows quickly.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2010

The words 'break' and 'trainable' are somewhat upsetting...

How about "no name, no credit"?

Or you could hang up no name papers for 24 hours...if students claim them and put name on, accept them. Otherwise no credit.

Loss of recess just doesn't seem like a logical consequence for this.

11. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2010

Maybe he likes staying in a recess. Not all kids consider losing recess a punishment.

12. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Dec 26, 2010

Once in a while I have students "tattle" on their neighbor for not putting on their name. I'll say "normally I don't like tattling, but for this one thing today you can. Everyone look at your neighbor's paper and if you see anyone missing their full name and class on their work. If they are, raise your hand and tattle on them." They think it's funny, and I always see hands go up and a few kids feverishly writing their names on their papers. hahaha

13. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2010

cza cza, are you saying that, as teachers, we don't try to "break" the bad habits of our students and then try and "train" them with a better way to do the procedures in our classrooms? Not sure why any of this would be considered disturbing to you...

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2010

I redirect behaviors.

15. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2010

Exactly...

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2010

...but I don't 'break students'.

17. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 26, 2010

I don't like the idea of "break"ing students...but but I understand that we want them to change behaviors.

18. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2010

It is about breaking the bad habits, not the child. Right? Sorry if I didn't make this clear enough. I thought that I did. My intention is not to break a child. I would not want to break a child. Most teachers on this forum would not want to break a child, but the habits, in order to have them adjust to the procedures that I need for them to practice each day in order for them to be successful students, not just in my room, but in their future rooms to come. If the child insists on not learning the proper procedure then I am looking for a way to stop the behavior in order for them to do it correctly so that I don't have to go through the papers each time and figure out which unidentified paper belongs to which students. So I am looking for some advice from teachers on this board to help me with this situation, so that the student learns to practice the appropriate procedure of putting their name on their papers. Many of the suggestions here have been helpful and I appreciate the sincere responses. There are always so many helpful people who post on this site and I am so grateful to those who honestly are here to help others. Again, thank you...

19. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 26, 2010

And I am sorry if you felt I was attacking you. I never meant it that way.

20. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 27, 2010

I did not think that you were attacking me.

21. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 27, 2010

Some students just struggle with remembering to put their name on things. It used to drive me crazy. (Ok, so it still does - but I found a way to make it easier on me!) I bought a 30 pocket chart (http://www.pacon.com/edu_aids/pocket_charts/pc2.php next to last one, except mine is red). They are each assigned a pocket with their number. So, even if they forget to write their name, I know who the paper belongs to. I take points off for no name (not following instructions) and they write "My name is X" 25 times. If I have a student who seems to really be trying, but not always succeeding, I do an incentive chart. If they write their name on a certain number of papers each week (it increases each week until we get to all of them) they get a small reward (free seating choice in the cafeteria, computer time, etc).

22. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 27, 2010

Hummm, I give up on this board for now...

Like I said earlier, thanks to those of you who are so helpful, positive, and not judgemental.

Good luck to all of you in your teaching pursuits...

23. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 27, 2010

I am sorry that you are giving up on the board. Most of the people on the board are kind, open-hearted people. There are a few that some of us would like to see gone. But they are FEW. Good luck with your quest for knowledge.

24. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2010

It's getting a little rough on this board lately. I have been considering taking a break from here also. While I haven't been jumped on, I hate seeing it happen.

25. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Dec 28, 2010

heavens54,
    I can relate. I rarely post here due to a few posters who are so quick to judge and make almost rude comments frequently. Many times one isn't clear with a post or inadvertently makes a mistake and these posters are often so critical. Most people are so kind and supportive on here though. It seems as if some people want to try to make themselves seem superior to others. Hang in there!!

26. Mama P

Mama P Rookie

Dec 28, 2010

There are two different things I have tried and it worked. One (for upper grades) is have a homework basket and label it papers with names the other have a tag that says papers without a name and it is above the trash can. The one I have used for 2nd grade is tie a highlighter pen to the work basket and they highlight their name before putting thier work in the basket.

27. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 28, 2010

I love the highlighter idea. My kids love to highlight things.

28. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2010

I have one student who doesn't put his name on his papers. We're departmentalized, but I teach math besides just writing. I have him for both subjects.

Since I know it's him, I just calmly remind him to put his name on his paper. I really don't think he's doing it on purpose. Even so, I don't have time to fuss with it.

If I have a lot, I throw them in the trash and tell them that if they want credit, they had better fish it out. Then I go on about my business. Sometimes I stop and watch amused as they dig through the trash can.

I think what I'm trying to say is that you've got to decide to be amused by it or not bothered by it. It's one of those things that will never end....I'm 25 years in and have tried everything.

29. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Dec 29, 2010

:p So true. I also rarely post, and when I do I feel like I have to check my wording over and over so I won't be "corrected" and criticized. Unfortunate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.