how to ask if my contract is ready?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nogenrewriter, Jul 26, 2010.

1. nogenrewriter

nogenrewriter Companion

Jul 26, 2010

Hello All,

Last Wednesday, I was offered a position over the phone and accepted. The person I spoke to told me it would take a couple of days to get all the paper work together. I am very anxious to get my contract, so I am going to call tomorrow. My question is, how do I ask (without sounding impatient) what the status of my contract is or if there is anything else I need to do? Thanks, I am totally at a loss...:huh:

3. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

I would give it a week b4 calling. When I was hired my first year, I did not sign my contract until after school has started.

4. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

I have never signed a contract prior to the teacher workdays at the beginning of the year. With my latest position, I did have to sign an acceptance letter, but that was it so far. I don't expect to see a contract until late-August.

5. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

I am in the same boat with you! I got my job on 7/7/10...still nothing...I heard that it may be this week I get the contract...the thing is where I am going is that I cannot teach until its signed (because of background checks, etc)

6. newteacherkt

newteacherkt Rookie

Jul 26, 2010

I waited almost 2 months for my contract. I would call just about every 2 weeks or so making sure I had done my part and they had everything they needed from me. I'm a first year teacher so it did take a while for my license to be processed and my university to send final transcripts, etc. I'm not sure if that's an issue for you or not.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2010

Call and say "I'm going to be in the area on Thursday morning. If my paperwork is ready, I could arrange to stop in. Would that work for your office schedule?"

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2010

Congrats!!! Let me know when I can add you to our list;)

Have they had a Board meeting? In my district, until you are approved by the Board, you don't get your contract.

9. nogenrewriter

nogenrewriter Companion

Jul 26, 2010

I called this morning to explain that I am going out of town to begin the whole moving process and to see if they needed more info from me. She told me the new hire packet will be available tomorrow afternoon. Not sure if that means my employment was already approved by the board or not. I've never worked for a traditional public school before.

Leighball-- It's 8th grade Language Arts/ Writing Skills in Central Valley, California

10. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

Look on the school district website, they probably have the school board meeting dates listed. :)

11. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 26, 2010

I'm kinda in the same boat. I was hired in Jun. I've been approved by the board & have signed all the medical & new hire forms...except for the contract. I'm glad to see that it's not unusual for teachers not to sign until closer to the start of school. :D

12. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

I know that my contract had to be signed by a few people (which can be difficult in the summer.)