How to ask for more time?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bdd, Apr 5, 2014.

1. bdd

bdd Rookie

Apr 5, 2014

Today I was offered a teaching position for one district, but I have an interview next week at a school in a different district that I prefer. If I don't get the position at this preferred school, I'll be happy to take the position that I was offered.

What do I tell the HR? And how can I ask them for more time before committing?

:thanks:

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2014

That is kind of stretching it. I would ask for some time to think about it and ask them what day they need an answer by. If they say it is before your interview, a bird in hand is better than two in the bush. Take it.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2014

The interview process can take some time...you might not hear anything for a few ays to a week after the upcoming interview...you really can't put off your current offer for that long. Since you say you'd be "happy to take the position" that you've already been offered, that's what you should do. Call the other district and thank them for their consideration but you've accepted another position. :2cents:

5. bdd

bdd Rookie

Apr 5, 2014

Would an email like this be appropriate for my preferred school, that I currently have an interview scheduled with?

I wanted to check in with you as some circumstances for me have changed. Would it be possible to learn more about the timing of the selection process?

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 5, 2014

Would you be happy and satisfied with this offer and you had nothing else on the horizon? If yes, take it. Otherwise, you might end up with nothing. If you think you still have time to get something else, then maybe take your chance.

7. bdd

bdd Rookie

Apr 5, 2014

I would be happy and satisfied! The different between schools is just +20 minutes (one way) commute.

So do you think emailing the other school with a status update is not professional?

8. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

Apr 5, 2014

I think it would be rather unprofessional to send that letter. I would take the job that you have been offered. In this job market, I think it's just too risky to turn down a job offer.

9. bdd

bdd Rookie

Apr 5, 2014

Is the job market that bad in Maryland? I'm already leaving my current position mainly due to a 40 minute one-way commute.

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 5, 2014

I've sat in on panel interviews for five positions. Three times, a candidate told my principal, after being offered the job, that they'd let her know in a week. Three times, my principal rescinded the job offer and hired a different candidate.

11. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Apr 6, 2014

I'd take it and then take your time on all the paperwork and stuff. Maybe before you have everything in, you will know about the other one. Distance does make a difference.

12. bdd

bdd Rookie

Apr 7, 2014

Thank you ahodge!

13. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Apr 10, 2014

I thought the general rule was 24 and maybe 48 hours to make up your mind.

I would not send a letter or mention another job. That is:
    DO you want to lose the job you have.
    Because that is how you lose the job you have in hand.

14. bdd

bdd Rookie

Apr 12, 2014

I don't understand what you're saying chasisaac. Why would mentioning another job offer make you lose it?

I decided "not being deceitful" is the best policy: simply ask if they'll give me a few extra days. It doesn't hurt to ask for a little more time to make such a big decision. People should understand that. If they say no to the request, then fine. If it makes them decide to immediately rescind their initial offer, then that would suck, but I think it seems unreasonable.

As for interviewing, I think it's also appropriate to be honest and mention that you've been offered another position that you need to respond to in X days...

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 12, 2014

I asked for more time to think about my job offer for my current job. I'd interviewed for a gen ed position the same day, it went extremely well, and I was pretty confident I was going to get that offer as well. I wanted to really think about my options and take time to decide which one I wanted. I think they gave me 3 days and asked if that was enough time, so I probably could have gotten more if I wanted. I did get the other offer, but decided to take this one because I'd rather live in this location. It worked out well- I love this school. Even so, I'm glad I took the time to think about my options so I didn't have any regrets. If I asked for more time and a P rescinded an offer because of that, I'd consider that a bullet dodged. I would never want to work for someone so unreasonable- that really shows you what kind of person they'd be to work for.

16. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Apr 13, 2014

waterfall you make good points...I've never had this happen but I think I would probably ask when they need to know by and can I have a couple of days?