How to appropriately respond to a student e-mail?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DKM, Sep 6, 2012.

1. DKM

DKM Rookie

Sep 6, 2012

I was in contact with parents and managed to form great relationships with some of them and their children. I used one of them as a reference when I looked for another teaching job in a different state.

I e-mailed two parents with my professional e-mail I use at home. One of the students got a hold of that email and sent me this letter:

"You totally win best English teacher!

My English teacher this year is so strict, way beyond what's necessary. She isn't mean, but she is definitely my least favorite teacher. So how're things with you? I'm still excited from Doctor Who season 7 premiere, "Asylum of the Daleks", which I thought was pretty good.

Your faithful student, ****"

I taught eighth grade. I had a GREAT relationship with this student. However, he wrote to me without mom's e-mail attached. My last school (where I knew the student) teacher who was accused of having inappropriate contact with a different student and it has made me incredibly wary of how I confine with them.

I do want to write back to this student, but it would be on an unmonitored e-mail and want to be very careful.

How can I go about this? Should I write back to him? Should I include mom in the e-mail?

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 6, 2012

I'd email back, rave about how awesome the season premiere of Doctor Who was, and CC the mom.

4. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 6, 2012

If you chose to write back, definitely include mom in the e-mail.

My students have my email address. Sometimes they email me with questions they have. When I reply to them, I always BCC myself so that I have the whole exchange, in order. They all get saved in their own separate folder.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2012

'Have a great year'. Cc mom and let it go. I wouldn't respond to any further emails.

6. DKM

DKM Rookie

Sep 6, 2012

Thought I had mom's e-mail... but it appears that I no longer do. :(

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2012

Would someone else at school have it? Is there a younger sibling?

If not, I would simply drop it without a response.

8. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 6, 2012

If you send a response, can you do it through the school email system so it seems more "official"? I don't see anything wrong with sending a short good luck email, but I wouldn't do it from a personal email address.

9. DKM

DKM Rookie

Sep 6, 2012

I quit the school system (hence how only trusted parents got it). Guess I'm gonna have to drop this one... what a shame :(

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 6, 2012

I wouldn't communicate outside the school e-mail system. If the lawyers for your district find out they will not be pleased.

11. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Sep 6, 2012

Maybe I'm being naive, but I really don't see what the big deal is with just responding to the student. You did say this is a former student, right?

I've had a couple former students email me with something similar - saying hi and thanking me for being such a great math teacher and preparing them for high school. I always responded and never CCd their parents, or even thought about doing that.

12. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Sep 6, 2012

I only communicate via official email with both current and former students. That way everything is archived.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2012

Personally, I would respond. Just print the email.

14. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Sep 6, 2012

Yeah, I don't see the big deal either. I would respond and probably wouldn't CC mom on it.

You can't get caught for doing something inappropriate if you aren't. Responding to that email with a short update and response about the show....I don't know. I don't see the big deal.

I keep in touch with one of my kids from last year who is a freshman in high school.

15. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Sep 6, 2012

I think it's probably pretty sweet and well-intentioned. A quick "I am well. Good to hear from you." would be fine

16. DKM

DKM Rookie

Sep 6, 2012

I communicated the parent and somehow the student got a hold of my e-mail. I know it's weird that I no longer have the parent's e-mail and that is because I cleaned my address box over the summer and did not think I would be contacted later on. :) Unfortunately, I could not contact with an official e-mail when I lost my teaching job last school year (they delete accounts when teachers leave the system).

Thanks though.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2012

Oh, goodness gracious! Just hit "respond" and wish him a great year. :)

18. treefrogs

treefrogs Rookie

Sep 7, 2012

... as long as you haven't been explicitly told not to respond. I think my policy is to CC admin, and keep it limited. It's tough... :(

19. MissApple

MissApple Companion

Sep 7, 2012

While you can't get caught if you're not doing it, people can get the wrong idea. Personally I don't have a problem e-mailing former students, but given that the OP is from a school where there was an inappropriate relationship incident in the past, people get put on high alert. We had the same thing at the HS where I work and I'm always extra careful too.

20. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2012

I'm with you. I detest all these " God forbid we treat each other like human beings" attitudes. We have somehow let the small minority of
    morons and pervs ruin it for all of us. I refuse. If a former student contacts me in some way, I reply just as if we were talking face to face. @&#@# the lawyers.

21. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2012

Here is what I don't get. Supposed a teacher is accused of something inappropriate with a student. It's discovered that the teacher and the student exchanged emails, interacted on Facebook etc.

Every one of those emails, posts, messages, become evidence and are examined by those charged to investigate the accusation.

The only thing is that the content of those emails, posts, and messages contain nothing that would indicate an inappropriate relationship. They are precisely what a teacher would be expected to say to a student in person or write as comments on an assignment.

Wouldn't this electronic fingerprint actually serve to exonerate the teacher rather than implicate them?

22. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2012

Actually, that is safer than face to face conversations. They could say anything about that but these are what they are in black and white. I guess I should be more paranoid but life is too short to be looking over your shoulder all the time.

23. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Sep 7, 2012

I agree. I quick hello and a conversation about a TV series. I don't see the harm and I would prefer it be via email, official or not, because at least I have a "paper" record of the conversation.