How to approach principal about wanting a long term sub position

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by PenCelia, Mar 25, 2007.

1. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Mar 25, 2007

I've been subbing alot this year in a school. I have found out that one of the teachers is expecting a baby in May. I would be interested in that position. What would be the best way of letting the principal know I'm interested? I won't be in the schools for the next two weeks because I have a temp assignment. I'm not even sure if they have even posted the position but I'm thinking the teacher will be leaving at April vacation. Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2007

I would write a formal letter of application. Tell him you know of the pregnancy because of all the wonderful times you've subbed in the school. Include a copy of your resume and name some of the teachers for whom you've subbed if you think they'll give you a good recommendation.

That said, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they already had someone in mind. My school is always on top of things like that, just in case the baby arrives early.

Good luck!

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2007

I would do the same, just like Alice said and then I would do a follow up phone call. Good luck!

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 25, 2007

I talked to the TEACHER when I wanted the sub position. She was due in February, and I'd been subbing several times a week at that school since August. I'd actually subbed for her before, and she also knew that I had the necessary degree for her subject.

She wanted me for the position, and she talked to the principal and the central office person in charge of the subs. I did her maternity leave, and a week after she returned another teacher in the same department had to leave for the rest of the year, and she ended up requesting me, too.

Because of those two long-term positions, when a job came open in that department the next year, they called me before they even posted the job!

Good luck!

6. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2007

Also, you could mention it to another teacher who really likes your work and they could mention it to the principal. That's what I did for a really good substitute that was not well known at our school. It worked, she got the job.

7. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Mar 25, 2007

I would tell the teacher and the principal and then send him a letter of application. That is how I got my many LTS positions.

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Mar 26, 2007

Yes, I agree, it's usually the teacher you should speak with. I've had three long term absences - I have three kids! And each time, I approached the sub that I wanted and asked her outright, leaving the central office to arrange all the details. However, I also agree that they probably have already gotten someone...I had arranged for my subs 3-4 months in advance.
    Kim