How to apply for a teaching job?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kelly33, Jan 8, 2021.

1. kelly33

kelly33 Rookie

Jan 8, 2021

I'm going into my credentialing program (in California) in the fall, and I was wondering how you actually apply for a teacher position. Are you supposed to request a job from the principal at the school you want to work at, or do you look on sites like Edjoin? I am worried because currently, there are zero teacher job listings available for schools around my county. So I was just wondering what the application process is like, and how easy is it to find a teaching job these days with Covid and all? Thanks so much your your answer!

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 8, 2021

Most districts will have a link on the HR portion of their website. Find the district (or school, if you're looking at a private or charter school), click the Human Resources or Careers link, and see what they have available.

The public districts near me list all openings for the district on one page. You can upload your resume and cover letter and apply for any vacancies or positions you're interested in. Someone at HR will screen your resume or principals can look at applicants. If you're a good fit, they'll call for an interview.

Some districts will have separate sections for openings and expressing interest. I can apply in districts near me for jobs I'm interested in (ie, k-3 teacher, instructional coach, etc.) even if there are no vacancies in those positions yet.

kelly33 likes this.
  4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jan 8, 2021

It's a little early for jobs to be up. In my home state, hiring season is in full swing from late March-June, then tapers off from July, ending in early September. That was for schools starting in mid- late August. Now where I live, most schools start in September, so it's all shifted back a bit.
    There's sites like k12jobspot and many times individual states have a central job posting site. Catholic school jobs are posted on the diocese/archdiocese websites. Other private schools sometimes form hiring coalitions with their own shared job site. I've seen those both by location and by affiliation. It can be a lot, but once you've found the sites, check each about once a week.

kelly33 likes this.
  5. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Jan 10, 2021

kelly33 likes this.
  6. kelly33

kelly33 Rookie

Jan 11, 2021

Hi, thanks for your answer! I looked on the school district websites and could not find a human resources link, but I did find personnel services and employment information links, which all lead me to the Edjoin website. And as I feared, there are no openings for teacher positions currently. I'm not looking to be hired currently, but this time next year, I will be looking, and I'm just concerned that there is a lack of teaching jobs available after Covid.

7. kelly33

kelly33 Rookie

Jan 11, 2021

Thanks!! =D

8. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jan 11, 2021

Are you graduating in December? My district (in California) hasn't even asked us whether we intend to return yet. Typically we do that in Jan/Feb, but even then people don't officially resign until April-June, and spots can't be filled until they are open. It is kind crazy, especially for Principals, who may know they need to hire, but can't make official offers yet. Our hiring season (largish city) is March to May with unexpected openings filled through the summer. (June - Aug).

About ten years ago I graduated in February and was lucky enough to snag a maternity leave opening for the rest of the Spring. I got that through EdJoin. Then I got my job with this district through the HR website that summer, but they might use EdJoin now, for new hires.