How to answer this interview question...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by giraffe326, May 6, 2013.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 6, 2013

I've been asked a similar question, but the wording on this one has me a bit thrown.
    "If a student told you you were being unfair, how would you respond?" I've answered plenty of questions about fairness, and I always talk about clear rules and consistency enforcing them. However, the student aspect has thrown me a bit. I'd ask them why they feel that way, but I'm not sure where to go after that. To me, it is not appropriate to bring up other kids' punishments.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 6, 2013

Also, when answering "Why should we hire you", do you think it is appropriate to mention the sacrifices I've made to be a teacher to show dedication? (I'd also mention my skills, of course!) I'm just wondering if the moving 700 miles by myself, working 2 jobs to make ends meet, etc.. is a plus in my favor or not.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 6, 2013

I guess the unfair question would really depend on grade level. I would begin with asking the student to explain why they feel that way and maybe what they believe is fair. Sometimes they can come up with a harsher punishment or one that is equally fair.

I think that the question is mostly getting at if you sympathize with the students and are willing to be flexible.

As for why a district should hire you, I don't think I would mention the move in that question. You might highlight something that you were able to do because of your move, but moving to another state is not a reason to hire you.

5. labar

labar Rookie

May 7, 2013

In reality I'd probably tell the kid "life is unfair, get over it". For an interview though, I suppose I would talk about trying to understand where the student is coming from so that if you the teacher recognizes what the student is saying as being legitimate then you can fix it in the future.

6. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

May 7, 2013

Not sure; it might come across as if you were wining/begging. (NOT saying you ARE of course, just the impression it might give to potential employers). After all, if I want to hire someone I want someone with the best fit for the job not the person who moved from the furthest away.

Now other types of sacrifices, such as a willingness to stay late to tutor/re-mediate might be worth mentioning

Hope your interview goes well! :thumb:

7. needajobplease

needajobplease Rookie

May 7, 2013

What Fair Is...

You need to let your students know what "fair" means at the beginning of the school year. Fair is NOT that everyone gets the same thing. Fair is that everyone gets what they NEED. You have to reinforce this believe a lot at the start of the year, but eventually they get it.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 7, 2013

That wasn't my question. I know what fair is, I am extremely structured with classroom management. A child in my classroom would never complain about fairness- which is why I didn't know how to appropriately answer the interview question.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 7, 2013

Definitely wouldn't be whining. More showing my desire,drive, and commitment to be a teacher and what I was willing to sacrifice.

I didn't end up mentioning it anyway.

10. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

May 8, 2013

Maybe its the wrong answer but I would tell them that life isn't fair. I mostly had fantastic students last year but I had a few whiners who would pull the "it's not fair" card every one in a while. Usually it was slackers who didn't do their homework.

I do think it would vary by age group though. I can only imagine some of my seniors from last year in college now. I would love to see them tell some of the professors I had that they are unfair. :)

11. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

May 10, 2013

No one is perfect and no matter how structured you are there will always be those grey areas. If I were asking that question I would be looking to see if you're going to assume the student must be wrong or are you willing to reflect upon it.
    Sometimes it takes someone from the outside to point out flaws in me. I'm always open to constructive criticism and how I can improve from it.