How to answer these job application questions?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by maya5250, Feb 17, 2013.

1. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Feb 17, 2013

Can I get some ideas from all of you about how to answer these questions for a job application at a charter school. I checked out their website and wasn't sure how to answer these questions to get an interview? Any suggestions would be helpful.

1. Why do you believe that many schools are failing low-income and minority children?

I believe that schools are failing low-income and minority children by not providing instruction tailored to the needs of all students. I believe in providing opportunities in which the students are able to learn by connecting science with their everyday lives

2. Describe the most difficult feedback you've ever received (may be in your teaching or other areas). Describe how you felt and what resulted from it.

I received feedback about how my lesson was structured. I did not provide a measurable learning target (ex. I will be able to model the formation of limestone in nature). At first, I felt that the objective was tailored to the experiment provided in the classroom. However, I understood what the evaluator meant and talked to the master science teacher in improving the writing of my learning targets to better improve myself.

3. Describe a time you had to give up your individual comfort or benefit for the sake of the group. This can be a personal or professional example.

I had a few students in which their behavior were not only disruptive to their learning but the learning of other students. I had teacher-student conferences with them to determine their behavior and learning goals and how to reach their goals. One of the students needed assistance to catch up with his work, in which case I gave up my afternoons to tutor him in science, math, writing, and reading. Not only this time was important for him to pass his classes but I was able to spend one-on-one time with him to get to know him better.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 17, 2013

1. How do you plan to do this?
    2. How did this affect your teaching and therefore, the students?

4. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Feb 17, 2013

Thank you. I will include more about this in my statement.

How do you feel about standardized testing?

I feel that standardized testing is important and necessary tool of teachers, administrator, and the community. Standardized tests are created to assess the Common Core State Standards and holds teachers and schools accountable for the learning of all students. Students are taught what they are required to know about the important concepts involved with math, science, language arts, and social studies. Also, standardized tests allow students to be compared which is important when all states are working to promote student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access as stated by the U.S. Department of Education. Furthermore, standardized testing goes along with a set of recognized standards and/or instructional framework which provides teachers like me with guidance for what and when to teach important concepts.

5. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Feb 19, 2013

For question one, I also might mention the importance of schools learning about and respecting students' cultures and backgrounds, and knowing how a different culture, a language barrier, or different family dynamics affect student achievement.

6. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Feb 20, 2013

Well I have an interview with the school. It is a day long interview in which I see the classes, interview with the principal and assistant principal and teach a sample lesson

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2013

I think your answer to question one is too generic.

Make your answers personable like you're having a conversation. Don't rehearse too much or you'll sound like a robot.