How To Answer That Question (Why Did You Leave?)/Last Principal Giving Bad Feedback

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Nab, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Nab

Nab Companion

Feb 24, 2017

I got my alternative certification in Secondary English last spring. I landed a job in July. That job's issues are well chronicled on this forum. In short: it was the job from hell, with no support, and students who ruled the school. I left at the end of September. I was not the first new teacher to leave the school nor was I the last - two others left after me and I know that two more are planning to leave after this school year.

To get to the point: my question is - how do I answer the question: "Why did you leave your last teaching position after only six weeks?" I'm getting interviews for the Fall now, but I just don't quite know what to say. I keep saying things like: "It was a great position, but wasn't a fit for a first year teacher."

Another thing: one of the schools I interviewed with called me back to say I didn't get the job. I asked if there was anything I could do to improve for future interviews, and the principal said that I interviewed well, but the principal of my first school didn't have positive things to say. Apparently, my last principal is telling people that I couldn't mange students, that I consistently complained and looked to be babied. She also told people that I was given chances for lots of one-on-one training with other teachers, and never took them up on it. I was never given any chances for training - most teachers ignored me. My ex-principal may not be telling the whole truth, and I have no idea how to counter that.

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 24, 2017

If you left at the end of September, I would leave that job off of your resume/applications. Have you been subbing for the rest of this school year? If it were me I would just list that as your current job.

4. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Feb 25, 2017

Yeah, just list any other experiences you've had to earn your alternative certification such as substituting, year long practicum/intership, or your semester long student teaching. You could also put down any other non teaching experience with children, such as your observations in classrooms, tutoring experience, etc. Good luck!
    :)

mathteachertobe likes this.
  5. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Feb 25, 2017

Leave it off your resume/application and don't use them as a reference. You were only there for 6 wks! Only use references that you know will say good things! Good luck!

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 25, 2017

If you were only there for such a short time, you don't have to list them. You gain nothing by listing them, it sounds like they're stopping you from getting hired.

7. Nab

Nab Companion

Feb 25, 2017

Thank you for the advise. I've been studying and taking PRAXIS exams for the last five months. I've tried to get int o sub, but have never been called. I'll try leaving them off and see where that goes.

8. pommom

pommom Comrade

Feb 27, 2018

What would your advice be for a teacher who full filled the entire school year contract but the principal would give negative feedback for future employers? I wouldn't want to leave it off my resume because it is still a year of teaching experience, but I don't think I would receive a recommendation from my current principal. Do school ALWAYS call previous schools?

9. pommom

pommom Comrade

Feb 27, 2018

I relate with you when you say you worked at a school with no support and kids run the school. The kids at my school do whatever they want. Admin ignore teacher referrals.

10. pommom

pommom Comrade

Mar 1, 2018

It would be nice if there were replies to my posts....
    Anyways, on Monday I have made arrangements to sit down with my principal to discuss if I would receive a recommendation from another school or not. I am pretty nervous about it because I was pretty needy for a few months and have been called in a couple times for parent complaints...
    If he tells me not to use him for a reference, I wouldn't know what to do.

Has anyone been able to land a job with a bad principal reference? I don't want to leave a whole teaching year off my resume...