how to announce pregnancy to students and parents

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 1, 2015

So my students last year figured out I was pregnant. No biggie for them, as it wasn't affecting that year. This coming year I plan to be out from mid November until February. I'm not sure how to announce that to the upcoming class and have heard horror stories about parents harassing teachers over awkward maternity leaves. Any suggestions?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 1, 2015

I put a statement in my back to school letter.

"I am expecting my second child at the end of November. My current plan is to be out from x date until x date. I will work with the certified substitute to ensure a smooth transition. Any questions may be directed to Principal."

It was no big deal.

4. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Jul 1, 2015

I covered a maternity leave this past spring and the teacher I took over for was very up front about it and handled it just as agdamity did, and there were no issues at all (and this was a pretty crazy group of helicopter parents).

5. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jul 1, 2015

I was only out the last 2 weeks of school. I sent an email out a little before that letting them know important dates and who to contact.
    I never officially told parents or students prior to that, though. Only if they asked.

6. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jul 1, 2015

I'll be on maternity leave from December- February. I'm also just putting a little statement in my back to school letter about it. I might also send another letter home closer to December introducing the long-term sub.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2015

My principal sends maternity leave notices home and talks about the transition, the covering teacher, how the kids will be in good hands, etc.

8. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 3, 2015

Congratulations!

My first pregnancy I had to be out around the same time line as yours and it went over OK. Sure, there were one or two parents who had something rude to say about it. It was obvious that I was pregnant at open house and I told the parents the plans then and showed them that I had already in August had plans lined up for the sub to take over. The majority of the class parents were really sweet about the whole thing and they even threw me a little baby shower.

My second pregnancy I didn't tell the class at the start of the school year because I was not showing. I waited a few months until the kids figured it out and sent home an announcement in my weekly newsletter email detailing the plans. Again, 99% of parents were really supportive.

Both times I did have one parent or two voice a concern. It was mostly over wanting to know who the sub was going to be, etc. I was fortunate the second go around that my administration was very supportive. My advice is to find out as much as you can about the sub situation to announce so that you are ready to answer questions.