How to address cover letter (SchoolSpring)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cymru3, Mar 4, 2017.

1. cymru3

cymru3 Rookie

Mar 4, 2017

I'm currently on the job hunt again. Back in the UK I was always told to address my cover letter to the school principal, but the hierarchy of things seems to work differently here. So, when writing a cover letter, should I address it to the school's principal? The district's superintendent? The person listed at the bottom of the ad under 'contact information' (usually someone in HR/hiring)? The department head/director? I feel like it would be obvious if I was sending a hard copy of my application as it's usually specified in the ad in those cases, but it's a little unclear when applying through services such as SchoolSpring.

3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Mar 4, 2017

When it's unclear who's going to be reading your cover letter, using, "To Whom it may concern," is acceptable. It's less offensive to have a vague header than to address a letter to the wrong person.

4. cymru3

cymru3 Rookie

Mar 4, 2017

Right, but there's no rule of thumb for who usually reads it? What I mean is, it's not always the principal or always the superintendent who reads it?

5. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Mar 4, 2017

Nope. When I've applied online, it's been everybody from the district HR person to the teacher whose job was being filled who read the cover letter first. I've had interviews where the principal takes his/her choice to the district to approve and interviews where the district sends a few approved choices to the principal.

6. cymru3

cymru3 Rookie

Mar 5, 2017

Interesting! Thank you for your insights :)