How to address a change from high school to middle school?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cymru3, Feb 17, 2016.

1. cymru3

cymru3 Rookie

Feb 17, 2016

I originally taught secondary (ages 11-18) in the UK. After coming to the US (MA) I applied everywhere I could to get a job as a para while I sat my MTELs and sorted out my MA license and ended up at a high school. This school year I landed a year-long cover job teaching in a different high school. Although I love it, and much prefer it to teaching the same age range in the UK, I feel that my heart is really in middle school teaching. I have experience with that age range in the UK but none here in the US and feel as though I may end up being pigeonholed into high school teaching. Not the end of the world but in terms of my job satisfaction I'd like to at least try!

How should I address this in my cover letter? To be honest I'd very much like to apply within my current district if positions open up, so I want to be as diplomatic yet concise as possible as I also have to have a bit about my UK experience in there. As I said, it's nothing to do with the high school, the kids themselves, or anything else. Just my own personal preference and strengths.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2016

I think it's fair to say that your personal preference is middle school. We all have an age/level preference, so I don't think anyone would bat an eye at that.