How soon is your open house?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ladybug Teacher, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Ladybug Teacher

Ladybug Teacher Companion

Sep 17, 2010

This was our second full week back and our open house is next Wednesday. I know there must be some that are even sooner than this...it always sneaks up so quickly!! :eek:

Did you have your open house yet?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2010

We had our a week after school started... but ours isn't really an open house.. it's called "Parent Orientation" (just for the parents) and its a time for us to explain the procedures and going-ons of our classroom and school. We actually like to have our very soon so we can explain things they need to know right away.

4. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 18, 2010

Our open house is before school starts. We then have a back to school night on Sept. 21. They are both almost the same thing... very informal.

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 18, 2010

Ours is the same day as yours Ladybug Teacher. It works quite nicely at our school though... it is made very clear that it is NOT Parent Teacher. Everyone goes to the gym, where the principal gives his "State of the Union" address, various clubs come to talk about opportunities for students in the coming year. They have elections (more like acclamations) for the Parent School Support Committee, and then there's coffee/tea/sweet served in the gym, and if parents have any questions, they can come talk to teachers in the gym, very informally.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2010

Our Meet the Teacher BBQ was supposed to be this coming Thursday (3 weeks into school), but we pushed it back a week because we may need to reorganize classes at the end of the week. We start with a casual BBQ outside, have a welcome in the gym from the principal and then parents go to classrooms where teachers do a short presentation on their program for the year.

7. Ladybug Teacher

Ladybug Teacher Companion

Sep 18, 2010

It's always interesting how different things are among our schools. I love how your school has a BBQ, MrsC. That must make for a nice welcome for the families.

We have a bit of time in our classrooms to present to the parents, then everyone goes to the gym for the principal's talk. It's not supposed to be like conferences, like you said halfateacher...but sometimes can end up that way a little.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2010

I love it too. It's very casual, with everyone outside on the tarmac, mingling. Many of our "old" students, who are now in high school, come for a quick visit and to catch up. It's a fun evening.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2010

Ours was the 2nd week of school. The parents came to the classroom, and it was more like Lynn's parent orientation. We explain the procedures, homework, etc. to the parents.

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 18, 2010

We had a Meet & Greet with parents and students the day before school.
    Our open house was approximately the 3rd week of school. No one showed up from my class except for one parent = ( We were required to be at school until 7. Time I could have spent with my family :::sigh::: oh well

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 18, 2010

We have Open House 2 days before school starts. Students get to meet their teacher, and bring supplies to school.

12. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Sep 18, 2010

Our Open House is scheduled for mid-October. We started Aug. 30th. We had a meet the teacher afternoon on Aug. 27th. We will probably get more teachers after count day which is the beginning of Oct. so I think that is why our Open House is scheduled so late after the opening of school.

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 18, 2010

We had ours this past Thursday. We were in school for ONE WEEK, which made things good and bad. Good: no parents had specific questions for me. Bad: I don't have all of my 149 students' names memorized yet so I couldn't put a face to many names.

It's the worst day of the school year I think--- I hate talking to parents like that. But then again, I'll have about 6 conference days this school year so that is my next HUGE hurdle it get over. :(