How soon do you like to get in your room?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cmw, Jul 30, 2010.

?

How soon do you like to get in your room?

1. What, get in my room...I never left!

13 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. Several weeks before school begins.

25 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Only a week or two before school begins.

23 vote(s)
    32.9%
  4. A few days before school begins.

8 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. I show up the first day & hope for the best.

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 30, 2010

So, how soon do you like to get in your room? I always feel like I never have enough time setting up before school starts. One year I only had a couple days and another I had weeks. Both times I felt unprepared. :D

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

These threads about getting into rooms always surprise me :) I guess I am very spoiled because we always have keys to our building and to our classrooms all year long. I can get into my room the day after school is out and anytime in between. Now, there are times when it is a little difficult, like when they are shampooing the carpets or painting.

So, my answer wasn't in your poll choices - I can get in anytime :)

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2010

Same here! Although, it can be a little bit of a bad thing. I had to make myself stay away for a month this summer...

5. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 30, 2010

I get into my room a few days before school starts.

6. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jul 30, 2010

I would like to do it over a few weeks, but we aren't allowed in until Aug. 5. I am out of town until Aug. 11, so I will be busy. School starts Aug. 16 and we have MANY meetings, etc.

7. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 30, 2010

Try and use my time efficiently while I am working so I can keep it to as few hours before the first day of preplanning as I can. I have been over three days so far for a total of about 10 hours, I have to put my bulletin boards and my charts on the wall and other than that I should be finished. I got the worst part of the furniture rearranged and some of the other things done today and the last day I was there.

8. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 30, 2010

I am the same as INteacher and amakaye. :) It is really nice to have access whenever I feel like going in to do some things, though I prefer to go on the weekends when there is no one around for me to talk to. I get much more done that way. :D

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2010

We also have building and classroom keys...so thankful for that! I go in a couple days here and there during our too-short summer, but really spend considerable time in the classroom two weeks before school begins.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

I don't really have much to do so I wait just about until school starts.

11. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 30, 2010

When do they clean floors if you can get in anytime? Every school I've been at has at least 2 weeks where we can't get in. Then there are construction years that may make it longer.

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2010

I started on Monday for a few hours each day, and I am now finished! No school on Monday (furlough day), Tuesday work day, Wednesday 1/2 staff meeting, the other 1/2 work day, kids come the next day (Thursday).

I am relaxed and ready to finish planning! Best start ever.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 30, 2010

Our building is open all the time, so I'll go in as soon as my room is waxed. They used to do my room early because they knew that I liked to come in and work a little here and there instead of cramming it all in last minute. However, I've somehow managed to get the custodians ticked off at me, so my room is one of the last ones to be ready now. Last year they told me my room wouldn't be finished until AFTER open house, which was only four days before school started . . . and those four days were full of meetings. Thank goodness I had a Saturday in there! I did my whole room in ONE day.

I had two days this year. After that I got waxed out of the hallway.

14. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010

I'd love to be able to get into my classroom right now, but I can't get in until August 12th. School starts on August 24th.

15. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 30, 2010

I will probably go in a week before school just to start doing room layout. I have a feeling that I'll be in lots of meetings.

16. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 30, 2010

Can I just say-look at those results? Are we dedicated or what! :thumb:

I haven't gotten a response yet as to how early we can go in. We have to show up on the 9th, workshop for the following 2 days-hoping to use that Thurs and Fri to get started. We aren't even given keys to our rooms until we are officially back, so if we do go in it means really sweet-talking the secretary;).

17. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 30, 2010

We have carpeting in our rooms and the hallway. When they do our room, there are about three days that you can't get into your room. The hall carpet they do the first week in August always, so there are about two days where you can't get down the hall to your room. While they do other parts of the building, we can always get on to our wing, if they are not doing our particular room or doing the hallway. :)

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2010

Usually, and this year, also, about four weeks before it begins.

19. goingtogigi

goingtogigi Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

This year, I'm not giving up my summer! I usually go in a few days before school. Now, I'm a mommy and I don't want to go back at all! ;)

20. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Jul 30, 2010

I've been working on my graduate homework all summer in my classroom! I don't have an office (or even a quiet workspace without distractions) at my house, so I love to sit in my classroom and work. The custodians tease me about being there all the time :)

21. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

:love:
    This is pretty much the same for me - our hallways and classrooms are carpeted. Only the commons and the front and back entrances get waxed. When the jantorial staff waxes the bottom floors, they have to ensure that at least one entrance is accessible. My high school building is open every day during the summer anyway and staffed with our secretary, bookkeeper, one guidance counselor and our P. They are there everyday during the summer from 8 - 2. Also there are several college classes in our building during the summer. So really even if I didn't have a key to the building, I could still get in Mon - Fri from 8 -2.

22. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jul 30, 2010

What room??! lol I'm lucky to know the day before the school year starts what buildings I'm teaching at! Every year I start in quicksand....it's never a pleasant feeling. EVER! :(

23. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 30, 2010

I'm in my room off and on all summer. We usually have a couple of days where our hall is off limits because of floors, and then later in the summer another weekend where the whole school is off limits for the same reason. Our custodian is great about it and often will come do the floors at night so that we are blocked out of our rooms for the shortest possible time.

24. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

Ooohhhh Samothrace, :hugs:

25. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

The official word from the district is that we can't go back until our first day back for the year. Before I heard that official word, I showed up at the door of the school with iced cappuccinos for our custodians, and they let me in anyway.

The custodians have also told me that they'll let me in a week early if need be, since I'm switching classrooms.

26. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010

We can call near the end of summer and see if anyone is around to let us in. My grade level team are going to meet next Wed to split up the kids we have enrolled so far. And my hubby is going to finally get ALL my stuff out of the garage and move it over for me. Then Thurs and Fri we have orientation and then set up our rooms all day. My 13 y/o will help me all 3 days, Yay! Then Monday the 9th is D-Day! :)

27. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 30, 2010

I am allowed in 3 days before teachers have to return to school and 1 week before students are to return. I'm not too upset about it this year because this is the first year in 6 years that I am not either moving schools or switching classrooms.

28. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010

School starts Aug. 23rd and I started a little yesterday. I plan on going for a few hours tomorrow. We have 2 weeks until inservice week, so I have to get moving!!!!!!

I don't understand how someone goes in and has everything ready is a day or two ( not criticizing, just amazed how everything gets back in order that fast). I always have things I want to change/improve - it just takes me longer. I like having plenty of time in my space before working in it with the kiddos.

29. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 30, 2010

I go in a couple of weeks before school starts. Even though I am physically there during the summer our keys are pulled out of my hands. I hate giving them up, because it can be a hassle getting them back. We have to completely empty out our whole classroom, so its a hassle finding storage space. I went back this week, I was actually late in going in. I normally have more time. It took me a total of about 2 days to finish. However, this year I left feeling unhappy about my classroom. I am not feeling it at all. I covered my back wall with fabrics of the world and of texas, but I just didnt "feel" it. Plus I have lockers in my classroom and they moved them away from my desk area, now I am out of my comfort zone. I am not sure how else to change it.

This year though I will aloow the students to use the lockers. Monday we start our inservices but Iwill have time to go through my stuff and set up my desk. I feel excited, yet nervous.

30. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 31, 2010

My first year, I was in about a month before. Last year, about a week. This year, who knows? Our schedules still aren't available, and we're restructuring, so I have no clue if I'll be back in my room or moved (I hope not!). Last year, we knew by the first week in August. The previous year, when I started, I cleaned out one room, to find out two weeks before school that I was being moved to my current room! I won't really touch it until I know - why waste my time? I'm hoping I know by mid-month, since we don't start until September 1st.

31. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 31, 2010

Started this week. But I have a deadline. They are using my class for professional development and want it up and ready to go. I have to be mostly completed by Aug. 9. :woot:

32. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2010

I have a key, so I can go anytime I want. However, there is no use in doing anything until the carpet has been cleaned. Luckily, they usually clean it in mid-July.
    Due to my sister's wedding, I will not even be back into town until 2 days before the first workday. Luckily, I don't have a whole lot to do. I put up all my BBs before the year ended and covered them with newspaper.

33. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 31, 2010

We're given a week, but if I had more time I would. I'm going to try to get in a few days earlier this year, since I'm switching schools.

34. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 31, 2010

I am all about bribing the custodians too! :D I really liked my last custodian. Lots of staff had issues with him, but he was always so good to me. They did my floor early the last 2 years so I could get in my room early. He used to get sooo frustrated b-c we were a building of over 600 kids and 35 staff & people would want things done now.

35. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 31, 2010

Lol, I plan to bring Munchkins when I go

36. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jul 31, 2010

They used my room for summer school, so some things are still in place. . I might check out what havoc the cleaners left a day or so before we have to be back, but I've been in my room for many years, so there isn't much to set up, just unbox supplies, move the furniture back where it belongs, and put up some bulletin boards. We get work time built into our schedule. It's sooo nice to have a principle who used to teach. She knows we need time!