How sick is sick enough to stay home?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lucybelle, Sep 28, 2012.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 28, 2012

I have an awful cold, and I went to work anyways.:( I've never called out sick before (granted this is only my 2nd year). With head colds and such I just stock up on throat stuff, drink tons, try to stay seated and be miserable all day.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 28, 2012

I took a day off yesterday. I had a sinus infection and really needed to get to the doctor. I took two or three days last year. I get nasty sinus infections and I'm just no good at school. If I don't think I can give my kids the teacher they deserve, then I will call in sick. What that boils down to is am I going to fall asleep teaching :lol: I slept for 13 hours on my sick day so clearly I needed the day off!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2012

I rarely rarely rarely call out sick ( I have 120 sick days in my bank that I haven't used)... I call in when I'm bleary eyed, can't think clearly, can't deal with kids....and that happens less than once a year.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 28, 2012

I call in if I have a high fever, can't leave the bathroom, or have a migraine.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2012

I was sick for an entire week with H1N1 a few years ago. I felt like I had been hit by a truck. It would have been impossible for me to have lasted the day at school. I was just so tired, I could barely breathe, and every part of me ached.

Generally, though, I can push through. I take vitamins and use my neti pot extensively, so most of my colds and whatnot are usually short-lived and mild.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2012

This is about when I call in as well. One of my aides sounded awful the past few days, couching really bad, and STILL came in.

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 28, 2012

If I am likely to make other people sick, I stay home.

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 28, 2012

I have taken 1 sick day per year in the last 3 years - and 2 of those were mental health days. I have only called in sick once. I had a terrible head cold, didn't sleep at all and could barely move.

Luckily I don't feel I need to explain myself to my new principal. She's great about just asking, "Are you well enough to teach?" That covers so many different areas (mental, physical, emotional) and I don't feel guilty about taking a sick day.

10. McParadigm

McParadigm Companion

Sep 28, 2012

I developed a measly little sinus infection a few years back. Thought I'd treat it with alleve and a rinse and wait until after school to go in.

It ended up reaching up, giving me an ear infection which swelled my right ear canal shut. BY THE END OF THE DAY.

It popped my ear drum, gave me Bell's Palsy for months, and permanently damaged my hearing. I'm actually focusing my listening in on the now constant squeal of tinnitus as I type this post. It totally screwed up my ability to understand voices above mid-frequency, which is a real career killer in middle school.

After that, when it was already too late, I decided to stop taking chances. :eek:

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 28, 2012

I find that sometimes when I "push through" I just make myself worse...and if I'm totally "out of it" it's not a good day for the kids anyway. Last year I had a sinus infection and still went in to work because I was not contagious and had just a terrible day. I'd be explaining something and felt so "fogged up" that I'd forget what I was saying right in the middle or start explaining it wrong. I took the next day off and I think even just getting the extra sleep helped a ton! I've also taken one day off when I felt fine, but had absolutely no voice. I felt a little silly being at home and feeling totally fine, but what kind of day would my kids have at school with a teacher who can't speak?

It'll be a little different now because in my last position I didn't get a sub when I was out (teaching sped). Now that I have to make sub plans and know that I have to have everything out and ready, it'll be a lot more of a hassle. I won't be able to make a decision 30 minutes before school that's its best to stay home (unless it's a true emergency of course), and I doubt I'll be taking any "mental health days."

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2012

If I would be worthwhile to my students, I try to go. But if I would just be a familiar warm body, I don't go. I had H1N1 as well, which was awful so I was out for days. I take mental days if necessary...meaning necessary.

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 28, 2012

I haven't called in sick since I was in my teens (and I wasn't really sick, lol). My coughing when have a cold sounds really bad but I'd have to stay home for 1-2 weeks if I can't go to work due to a cough.

It could also take up to 3 hours to write and prep my sub plans, so I'd rather just work my 6 hours in the classroom and called out when I want mental health days.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 28, 2012

:hugs:
    :hugs:My dad had Bell's Palsy and never fully recovered. When he is tired his left side of his face looks like it is paralyzed.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 28, 2012

I don't stay home much. I've gone to work when I couldn't talk at all. It was like playing charades all day. The kids were actually very good.

Vomiting will keep me home every time. Otherwise, I'm likely to be at school unless the doctor tells me that I absolutely cannot go to school.

I'll usually go to work and call the doctor's office when they open, and they'll work me in after school.

16. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 28, 2012

The only reason I've called in sick is when I've had the stomach flu. It's such a pain to find a sub in my district that I just suck it up.

Beth

17. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Sep 29, 2012

:dizzy:If I can't safely drive to school, or can't talk, I stay home.
    That being said, I rarely call in, maybe once a year.

18. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 29, 2012

Hmmm....well, I just spent a week in the hospital, so I didn't have much choice about calling in. Hopefully, though, I'll be able to go back to work on Monday.

Under normal conditions, I have to feel like I would either be no good as a teacher that day or could possibly make others sick before I would stay home. Because of my Crohn's Disease, I've found that eating out too much or eating too much fried food in a 2-3 day period can give me vomiting and diarrhea very similar to the stomach flu. This usually puts me out of commission for 24 hours until the symptoms pass. Sometimes though (such as this week), the symptoms become more serious.

I also suffer from allergy/sinus attacks. I don't get them often, but when I do, they are very severe. I have to take 2-3 times the normal amount of allergy medicine to get it under control, which means I'm extremely groggy. So I usually take a day off, take the necessary medicine and sleep until the symptoms abate.

Other than these two issues (which really are rare), I don't call in sick.

19. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2012

This is my 6th year teaching, and I've only stayed home sick two days. It takes me way too long to write sub plans-it's easier to just go to school.

20. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Sep 29, 2012

I called in 1 day in a year that I've been where I am. It was when I had that severe pain and throwing up and the doctors couldn't figure out why. I took myself to the ER, didn't listen to the dr and stay home the next day and called out 2 days later because I pushed too hard.

As for sickness because of where I work I will call out if I'm contagious. I, along with many other staff, have been working this past week with a nasty cold. Most of the clients have already caught it. I hate to think I gave them a cold and I'd hate giving them something more m

21. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 29, 2012

I read this without the word neti at first, and was shocked!!!

22. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 29, 2012

. I used to do this too. Then I moved to a different state. Never say never... I thought I never would. I have like 300 sick days banked in another state. They don't transfer and the amount of money I will receive at retirement is minimal. Now, I take my days when I need to. I don't over indulge. I took 4 days last year. I even treated myself to a mental health day last spring. I need to take care of me otherwise I am really no good to my students. Like I said, I don't go overboard. But sometimes - 4 - I am worth it.:)

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 29, 2012

I agree. If you're contagious you should probably stay home. If it was something minor and I felt I could get through the day then I'd go to school. I would feel terrible if I gave someone what I had. One of my aides felt ill yesterday but came to work anyway. We sent her home. She didn't want to call out because we would be short staffed but I would rather she rest up over the weekend and come in on Monday NOT sick.

24. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Sep 29, 2012

I rarely call out for myself but have had to take 2 sick days this year for my son. I hate writing up sub plans so its much easier to go in if I can push through it. Just this week, I've had a horrible sore throat and foggy feeling head but I pushed through it. Now I'm enjoying a two week fall break so I will have plenty of time to rest :)

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2012

:lol:

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 29, 2012

I'm surprised I haven't gotten sick yet this year, but last year, I called in sick for 1 day I think. To me, when you have a fever of course, that's when you stay home. Also, when you're coughing every five minutes & have a bad sore throat or a bad stomachache, you should stay home.

27. scottcanoni

scottcanoni Guest

Sep 30, 2012

My answer is: throwing up.

At least that was what my mom would say and enforce. Other things too but that was a definite.

28. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 30, 2012

I only call in when I can't talk or can't stay out of the bathroom. It rarely happens. My diverticulitis was acting up last week & I was in a lot of pain. I still went in. Of course, as soon as I could leave I did.

29. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 1, 2012

The middle one is the worst. I've had to call in for that when I got food poisoning from some bad meat at a birthday party. Apparently many others had the same meat and all called in too. xD

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2012

31. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 2, 2012

A co-worker and I were doing training with a new trainee yesterday and we pretty much said this:

If you're throwing up- stay home
    If you have pink eye- stay home
    If you have anything contagious- stay home
    If you have a fever- stay home
    If you have a cold - come to work we don't have enough people to cover your shift
    If you're just "feeling under the weather"- come to work we don't have enough people to cover your shift

We only get 3 sick days per year.

32. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 2, 2012

:eek: We get 2 a month and we can bank them up. I think I'm at 54.

33. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 2, 2012

Only 3 days? I thought 5 days was bad. We can't bank ours. Use them or lose them.

34. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2012

That's what we had up until the beginning of September. Now we have 10/year and have lost the ability to bank (and, have lost what we had banked--bye bye 154 days!).

35. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 2, 2012

I have 68 days currently. I am using some for next maternity leave. I will have 28 days left. Each year we get 10.

I do call out sick if I am miserable.

36. smalltowngal

Oct 2, 2012

That should be criminal!!

37. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 2, 2012

3 days isn't bad for the people who don't have kids and rarely get sick. My 1 year is October 14th and I've only used 1 sick day.

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2012

Unless you get the flu or need surgery. Then all bets are off.

39. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2012

Should be, but apparently isn't when the government passes legislation that makes it okay.

40. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 3, 2012

True.

41. smalltowngal

Oct 3, 2012

I bet those same government officials would balk if they were forced to do that.