How should one be remembered after they are gone?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by McKennaL, Jul 11, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 11, 2009

Wow... there have sure been a lot of "celebrity" deaths lately.

But two prompt me to ask this question. Steve McNair and Michael Jackson.

After Michael's passing there were those who only could consider his "oddities" above his accomplishments. He was acquited on child molestation charges...yet his odd choices kept his "possible guilt" in the forethought of people's minds. Yet this man effected so much of(and so many in) entertainment during his lifetime and has now been found to have contributed more to charity than any other entertainer of his time.- Did you mourn the passing of a great master? The "greatest" entertainer the world has ever known"? Or did you think...good riddance to a (possible) pedophile?

Now... Steve McNair. Many thought that this guy was a GREAT football player and an upstanding charity worker and philanthropist. But then at the end of his life he is definitely found to be in an adulterous tryst with a young woman, perhaps started to do her wrong, and she killed both of them. The pastor at his funeral said that we should remember Steve for the good things and not be so fast to judge him for "this gossipy situation" he ended up in.

Huh... so how DOES one remember a person after they pass? And do you find that you have judged these two situations differently...even though one was proven and the other wasn't (at least not in a court-of-law-yet the court of public opinion doesn't seem to HAVE an acquistion clause).

What do you think?

3. glen

glen Companion

Jul 11, 2009

For both of them, I hope the positive is remembered for their kids' sakes. Can you imagine what those poor Jackson children are in for now?

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2009

I was thinking the same thing about Michael's kids. They have had such a "charmed" life. I hope they can handle the changes. Lots of therapy when the time is right.

I still haven't heard McNair's wife's reaction to all of this. Did she know her husband was cheating? Seems like he practically "lived" with this girl so she had to know something was up unless he was very good at lying. Has anyone heard?

5. glen

glen Companion

Jul 11, 2009

Reports have been giving the impression that she did not know. I'm sure at this point she is more concerned with her four little ones than his 'other life'.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

Perhaps what this should really do is remind us that we ought to be a bit more generous with our judgements while these people (or anyone) are alive. Forgiving them after they're dead is a bit, well, unhelpful to them.

7. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 13, 2009

My Ex's family... OY!

They tended to get into HUGE fights that go on for YEARS! (They were their own Hatfields and McCoys within one family...so much DRAMA!)

I had to talk the ex (then husband) into swallowing his pride and say HE was wrong-even though neither of us thought he was-with his mom as she was on her death bed. They were able to spend a week of getting along before the end.

More recently his father died. My daughter and he became estranged after the divorce separation (LONG story...but i agree with my daughter's point of view)...BUT, again, i would have told my daughter to swallow her pride and see her grandfather before he died.
    My ex, though, didn't give ANYONE a chance-by allowing him to keep his SUPER_FAST moving cancer a secret. Just one morning my ex called and said.. my dad died last night. Neither of my kids got to see him-neither knew he was ill.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 13, 2009

I agree with what most have said. I also think maybe we should try to make an effort to do more GOOD in our lives so that those are the things we are remembered for. People seem to think they can do whatever they want and even if there are no immediate consequences to their actions it might all come up after they are gone and change they way people see them.

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 13, 2009

It is so difficult for us to not make judgements-it is part of our human nature. I do think that we should strive to do more good.I certainly don't agree with the "idol" status the public has given Michael, and I don't agree with the adulterous affair Steve McNair had, yet it is not my place to judge either of them.
    With so much going on in the world, and in our own country-I think we all have more important things to think about.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 13, 2009

I think people who engage in such activities think they won't get caught or don't care if they get caught.

We're all human, we all make mistakes.

It's like being in a classroom and doing one million things wonderfully and then "Whoops" you have a bad day and that's what parents/colleagues will remember about you years later.

A young man on my campus this year over-dosed, it was a huge ordeal at school. But, he was a very sweet, compassionate, and caring teacher. Bring up his name now, and he's the one who OD'ed.

11. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jul 13, 2009

Personally, I don't get hung on up on celebrities. They live their lives, make their own decision, and have to answer to their actions. MJ brought on more criticism because he paid millions in closed settlements to keep secrets. He also in an interview said that he didn't see anything wrong with a grown man sleeping in the same bed as a young boy. Sorry, I don't agree with him, but I place the blame on parents who subjected their children to MJ for his status, both celebrity and financial.

I can see that a young man would be referred to as the one who OD'd because that brings it home to students. One can be sweet, compassionate, etc. but the misuse of drugs kills. That's a message many need to hear because they think they are immune to death.

There will always be celebrities that "change" the world or so it appears on the surface. Many will die prematurely because of their actions, including the enabling of those with whom they surround themselves. I'm thinking of Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley, Anna Nicole Smith, MJ, various athletes, and the list goes on and on.

I will pass my personal judgment on one who abuses and tortures animals in the worst way and then wants to play professional football again. Like it or not, professional players are "celebrities" and get the attention of children. Do I like this fact that children look to strangers as role models versus their own parents? No, but that is the reality in this country with all the missing parents. That's a whole 'nother tread though.