How should I write a resume for a summer job that is not teaching?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Peachyness, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2011

I want to apply to some jobs in my new town and I have no clue how I should rewrite my resume. The jobs I'm looking at right now are office or sales type jobs.

Any ideas????

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2011

I'm bumping this up because I am hoping that someone on here might want to possibly help me out.

I really am curious how I can write my resume so that I can apply to non teaching jobs. Like, I just have no clue where to begin. Sigh................

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2011

You would still keep the employment history, but change the bullets to highlight your skills of multi-tasking, organization, communication. You can also address these qualities in your cover letter.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2011

And, I thought about that, but here's what was bugging me. I have five employment histories, all teaching and all at different schools/grade levels. And, the skills would be, more or less, the same for each one of those jobs. So, would that still be okay? I'll play around with it.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2011

How about listing all the jobs with one bulleted list of skills?

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 31, 2011

Czacza, thanks! I'll just play around with it. I'm moving down to my new town in March and I'll bring my resumes to the career center at the university and see what they can do to help out. :) I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 31, 2011

So I had someone look mine over and it was super helpful-here is her #1 piece of advice: focus on the statistics. Apparently companies want you to quantify your success. I had three pages of all the programs I participated in and the philosophies that I used, but it won't make sense to non-teachers. Here is a modified version of my 'business' resume:

Education
    University, Location
     Bachelor of Arts in Education

Experience
    Business
    Dates involved
     Designed and implemented branding and online/print marketing plans
     Developed systems to manage warehouse inventory, fill orders, track shipments and maintain excellent customer service
     Increased gross sales by more than 300% over a two year period

School, Locatoin
    Dates
     Communicated with, built relationships and influenced key stakeholders such as parents, educators and investors
     Raised over $48,000 through fundraising and development efforts, doubling previous year’s profits

School, Location
    Dates
     Created website to share original and submitted educational ideas and resources with adult educators; over 560,000 unique visits documented since conception

School, Location
    Dates
     Served as Head of Science Department and as a member of the Middle School Leadership Initiative Team, created to improve communication between middle school programs and develop common assessment practices and standards

School, Location
    Dates
     Achieved yearly class rankings of 95% proficient or above average on state test
     Created instructional timelines; consistently met deadlines and learning goals
     Utilized school student achievement data base and CA60s as data sources

School, Location
    Dates
     Used data to develop effective teaching strategies that promoted students an average of one to three grade levels over the summer

Grants
     Secured over $11,000 in science and literacy grants over 4.5 years

Professional Development
     Design Thinking Workshop, Stanford Design School
     Big Ideas Fest: Innovative and Creative Thinking in Education
     TRIBES Learning Communities
     Personnel: Expectations and Laws of Michigan

It was brutal cutting out my classroom lingo, but this person said the HR departments really appreciate one page resumes.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 31, 2011

Ah, thanks Jem! And wow, such great accomplishments.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 31, 2011

Thanks, Peachy. I guess the key is to focus on one or two quantifiable achievements from each job, even if they happened at every job, and just put them under one heading. I made timelines and hit deadlines at every job, but I only put it under one heading.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 31, 2011

Okay, thanks. Hmmm, but I don't think I had such huge accomplishments. ??? I'll have to dig deep here. :p

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2011

Of course you have 'huge' achievements. It's all about repackaging yourself and what you have done. You have created websites, produced successful results with students, communicated with stakeholders, used data to drive decision making, served on committees, created instructional timelines, set and met goals...play it up.