How should I take this?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Futureteacher08, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Futureteacher08

Futureteacher08 Rookie

Nov 6, 2015

so I'm a brand new teacher and Everyone is always like oh you're so great at what you do. Well, today I was talking to the lead teacher and told her I would like to view someone and she's like well what for. I told her to get new ideas. She's like for what, and I said well you've seen me teach so what you think I could work on. She's like oh go see this teacher! And this teacher is brand new teaching (but has been subbing for a few years) I just feel inadequate, thoughts?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2015

So you said that you wanted to observe another teacher and someone suggested that you should observe a particular teacher? I don't see what the problem here is.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 6, 2015

Everyone has different strengths. I would guess this particular teacher was suggested because she is strong in an area you want to improve.

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2015

If you're a brand new teacher; I am sure you can learn something from observing another teacher. If people have been saying you're great, then why feel inadequate when your Lead Teacher said nothing to the contrary?

Don't stress over what you don't have to.

6. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Nov 7, 2015

I think this person feels inadequate because they were told to observe another brand new teacher. I wouldn't want to observe a brand new teacher as a new teacher. Even now I'm not going to observe a new teacher unless they're doing something cool/innovative, I'd want to see a veteran teacher whose got classroom management down, has down certain teaching strategies that I want to implement, and is an all around expert in the specialty area.

Can you maybe suggest areas you want to improve in yourself (you have to know your own weaknesses) and ask if there is a particular teacher whose strength is in that area?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2015

Im a peer coach and even after 18 years of teaching I learn something every time I watch someone else teach. Get over feeling inadequate and view this opportunity that you asked for as a chance to grow.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    DressageLady likes this.
  8. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Nov 7, 2015

In my building, it is common practice for new teachers to visit one another's classrooms in addition to those with more experience. Our admin says that new teachers often have a lot of new ideas and are often strong in more areas than they think. Please don't take it personally:) It is also possible that the teacher has done some long term subbing assignments and has been able to really get to know kids and her/his own teaching methods.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2015

It sounds to me that the teacher was offering a suggestion since you were asking. That's the only way I would take it.

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 8, 2015

You asked for a suggestion. You were given a suggestion. Any time you observe any teacher... good, bad, 30-year veteran, complete novice... the potential exists to learn something. Sometimes you'll learn a new technique or approach... sometimes you'll learn what not to do... the only really bad observation experience you'll ever have though is one that you go into with a negative attitude.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 8, 2015

And to add... if this other new teacher has been subbing for several years, I'd bet money that they have pretty good classroom management skills, along with a much bigger "bag of teacher tricks" than a typical new teacher.

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 8, 2015

This is what I was thinking.

Even though the teacher may be a "new teacher", she isn't really a new teacher. I've had the pleasure of many absolutely fantastic subs who were sometimes better than the teachers they subbed for. They knew the content, they had classroom management skills, and they had a knack of engaging the students. Some eventually became credentialed when it suited their family situation. Others never wanted to be a contract teacher for the district. They enjoyed the flexibility subbing offered and liked not having to have to do the rest of the job that contract teachers have to deal with.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 8, 2015

Like others, I'm not sure I understand the problem. The original post was rather difficult to follow due to the writing style, but it seems like the OP asked to observe another teacher and the lead teacher suggested someone.

I've observed teachers of all experience levels, and if you observe carefully, there's always something to learn from each teacher. The year I stop trying to improve should be my last year of teaching.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2015

There's something to learn from everyone. I wish it was easier for us to be able to arrange to observe others.