How should I spend the money????

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Heathermeister, May 1, 2008.

1. Heathermeister

Heathermeister Rookie

May 1, 2008

My principal just let us know that we have $250 to spend on whatever classroom supplies/materials that we want or need. I have been looking and looking and I just don't know what to spend it on. I teach fifth grade and am just finishing my first year teaching. Help!!! What should I spend the money on? I need to put in my requisition before school is over in a couple weeks.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 1, 2008

books for the class library
    guided reading books
    board games and cards for indoor recesses
    math games
    magazine subscriptions for the class--Sports Illustrated for Kids, etc.

4. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

May 1, 2008

I don't have any specifics but I do have some advice on what not to do. We also get $250 each year and the first few years I was wasting it on stuff like dry erase markers, pencils, construction paper...then I found out that the school orders that stuff any way! Now I choose one or two "big" items that I want in my classroom. Last year I bought a physics kit. The year before I bought a classroom set of "Sciencesaurus". Start looking for something you really want for your class. Don't waste the money on a lot of small things because chances are you will get them anyway.

5. MrU82

MrU82 Rookie

May 1, 2008

Paddles.

just kidding.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 1, 2008

Well, you could send it to me. :p

MrsC's list is perfect. Think about things you needed this year and didn't have. I would make a list of most wanted items and see how far you can stretch your money.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 1, 2008

If you absolutely have no idea, how about an end-of-the-year celebration/party. Buy some fun supplies.

8. Heathermeister

Heathermeister Rookie

May 1, 2008

I already got $400 in classroom supplies from Office Depot, so I already ordered markers, pencils, etc. This is additional money that I can spend on whatever else I need for my classroom. I was thinking that I may order a nice industrial pencil sharpener. I don't know....there are so many choices. I have already spent hours browsing classroom/teacher websites and I still don't know for sure.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 1, 2008

Wow. I wish my principal would give me $250 to spend!!

Do you have math manipulatives? Or some centers. I think it was in Lakeshore that I saw some nice take-it-to-your-seat premade centers. I love those (I have made some) for kids who finish early.

Or so professional books.

Or novels for lit circles or even to read as a class.