How should I prepare for my self-contained autism classroom?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by kit_kate27, Jun 20, 2013.

1. kit_kate27

kit_kate27 Rookie

Jun 20, 2013

How should I be preparing for a new job?

I recently got a job as a lead autism teacher in a self-contained classroom. What should I be doing to prepare for the upcoming school year? What do you guys do? Would it be appropriate to email my supervisor and ask what types of things I should be doing? (All these students are on IEPs-should I ask to see their IEPs, etc.)
    Thanks!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2013

At this point, I usually just work on policies, procedures, and decor. It is usually a few weeks before I start thinking about academics. But, that is just me!

It can't hurt to contact your P.

4. kit_kate27

kit_kate27 Rookie

Jun 20, 2013

I posted this in job seekers but I figured it would also fit here too, sorry for the repetition!:

I recently got a job as a lead autism teacher in a self-contained classroom. What should I be doing to prepare for the upcoming school year? What do you guys do? Would it be appropriate to email my supervisor and ask what types of things I should be doing? (All these students are on IEPs-should I ask to see their IEPs, etc.)

Thanks!

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2013

I will also be teaching a self contained autism class this year. A lot of your preparation will depend upon the age/ability levels of your students. I will be teaching somewhere between grades 3-5.

Is this the first time you will be teaching children with autism? I would be happy to chat with you as we prepare for next year.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 20, 2013

A procedural point: kit_kate23, you're fairly new to A to Z, so you might not know that forum policy explicitly discourages multiple threads by the same member in multiple forums on the same topic. The site owner's rationale - and I agree - is that the discussion is better in one place. Your two threads are now merged here.

Many A to Z veterans don't check for new threads forum by forum; instead, they use one of the "NEW:" links at the top right of the page, under where it says "Welcome, ...": each link brings up a list of threads in which there have been new posts since the last time the member logged in. That's how I found your threads, in fact.

Best of luck with your new job!

7. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2013

There is a book called Setting Up Your Autism Classroom by SB Linton. I highly suggest it. I don't teach an autistic class, but it was very useful towards setting up my life skills class.

Don't buy the Kindle version, you will need to copy some checklists in the book.

8. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Jun 21, 2013

You will need to make individual schedules for the students. Be prepared to label things and your classroom with both pictures and words. And routines are very important. Also prepare them for the unexpected. For example, if they are used to going outside to play, but it rains or something like that.

9. PuzzleMeTeach

PuzzleMeTeach New Member

Jul 10, 2013

Classroom

I love that kind of classroom! =) You are going to have so much fun! First and foremost-read every single IEP and make notes! You need to know the cognitive levels of the students and if any of them go to any classes with the general education population. You also need lots of visuals. I would double check with your Principal about the curriculum that is available to you. I lived on Boardmaker when I was teaching in this form of a classroom. They rely heavily on structure and routine as well. All of my students needed an individual schedule as well as our class schedule. I would look into the TEACCH model of teaching as well as ABA. TEACCH is a great model on how to set-up this type of classroom to include all aspects that these students need to succeed. Hope this helps- good luck!:)

10. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 10, 2013

Yep, this was the first thing I thought of when I heard "self contained autism room." TEACCH is awesome for kiddos with autism. It's tricky to set up at first because each kiddo needs their own "private station" within the classroom, which means tons and tons of bookcases/file cabinets - anything that is sturdy and can serve as a divider!

You might find a lot of helpful information simply by googling TEACCH. Good luck. :)