How should I manage middles school students

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & FAQ' started by abcd, Feb 6, 2017.

1. abcd

abcd Rookie

Feb 6, 2017

I've worked for a little while as a sub and a full time teacher. Each time I join a new school students constantly ask me where I'm from? When I tell them that I'm originally from India the news spreads around and then they repeatedly say that the room stinks. What should I do to stop students from harassing me? School authorities are only concerned about holding on to their jobs and keeping students happy. Parents are un co-operative. Ignoring doesn't prevent bad behavior. Speaking up doesn't work either. These students are from urban areas. Since teachers can't say anything directly to students what can be done to prevent this kind of behavior? The fact that highly educated and affluent people can never smell like urban area people cannot be pointed out. Students don't stop their behavior and I don't know what to do. I'm going to join a new school next month. Can anyone guide me?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2017

Don't answer personal questions.

MathGuy82 likes this.
  4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2017

Wow that's very rude. Sorry that happened to you. I'm really not sure what you mean by "highly educated people can't smell like urban people." I would firstly not answer personal questions as a sub. What age level is this? If they still make rude and racist remarks I would prepare a short speech about why that is rude. "Wow boys and girls, I'm very dissapointed in that comment. We know that it's unkind to make generalizations like that, etc." It sounds like your admin is very unsupportive and I would try not to work somewhere without supportive admin.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2017

I'm really unsure what this means. It sounds as though you look down on the students you are working with; I hope I'm reading/interpreting that incorrectly. If, as a sub, you are conveying that message, however unintentionally, the students will pick up on it and react in kind.

As far as managing behaviour goes, don't answer personal questions, stick to the plans left for you and don't get drawn into a power struggle with a student--you will rarely, if ever, win. You may want to start bringing along some extra activities for the students so that you are sure there is no down time.