How should I grade this sub work?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by bioteachnj, May 31, 2009.

1. bioteachnj

bioteachnj Rookie

May 31, 2009

Background:
    Students did a lab on Thursday in which beads were involved. Each lab station had a cup with 200 beads in it, which I counted out each one the night before. During the lab (these are 9th grade bio students) behavior was absolutely atrocious and lets just say a lot of my hard work the night before went down the drain/out the window (LITERALLY). The next day I was on a field trip and I left worksheets for them to complete with the sub. The sub was told to hand out each sheet one at a time. When a student finished one, they received the next one. This was to be done the whole period. Depending on student's individual capabilities they all did about 5-6 worksheets.

So...
    I'm thinking 25 points if they did it, those that were absent on a field trip that day can make it up, and the one student who cut class that day gets a zero. I'm just checking for effort and giving them points. I'll also make corrections but won't deduct anything (it would be complicated since everyone was at a different stage - ie. 5 completely finished worksheets, 6 worksheets with a section or two blank, etc). Does that seem fair enough?

Or maybe I'll just toss them out the window to make a point (j/k!!).

I need to get a speil ready for Monday to address their ridiculousness on Thursday... I'm a LTS that just took over for the last month of the school year and lets just say they are certainly testing me out.

3. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

May 31, 2009

I only leave fluff work for the days I'm out, tell them I count it, and throw it out when I get back. (They never take it seriously, anyhow!)

4. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 31, 2009

Ehh, I don't like lieing to my kids. Personally, I would give an effort grade for the worksheets and I would give an accuracy grade for the lab.

5. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

May 31, 2009

Why waste their time by throwing away the assignments when you had no intention of using them to begin with?

6. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

May 31, 2009

Gotta keep 'em busy! Fill up that 83-minute block.

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 31, 2009

Then grade the work.

8. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

May 31, 2009

I think the students should be rewarded for the effort they put in.The children who did the best work should at least receive extra credit. Those who made little effort should receive some sort of penalty. I also feel the really important points on the sheets should be reviewed in class.
    You have been given a very difficult position,do the best you can.
    I would grade the lab assignment rewarding those who worked at it and penalizing those who treated it as a joke.

9. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

May 31, 2009

Brendan - Nah. My time is more valuable than that.

10. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

May 31, 2009

I would at least go through and those that did most of of it give them full points, those that didn't give half..eyeball the papers. I've done that a few times..takes 5-10 minutes maybe 15 depending on the amount of papers, they didn't do it at all give them a zero.

11. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

May 31, 2009

Anything assigned should be graded by the teacher. To throw a student's work away is the mark of a lazy teacher - and I use that word loosely - who should probably do something else with his/her valuable time - something that doesn't have anything to do with our very valuable children, perhaps.

Students who don't do the work their teacher left for a sub to assign deserve zeroes. Oh, and good teachers don't assign busywork.

Offense intended.

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 1, 2009

Gee, I wonder why they don't take it seriously?

13. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Jun 1, 2009

I with the OP and kcjo13.......I never give busy work. It's a waste of my time and theirs. If the class is a total waste then it's going to be a movie that has no value other than entertainment.

Typically, I do a quiz/test or do some form of worksheet. If I do something so complex as a lab it's going to come with a rubric that is posted on the overhead.

While I do love block scheduling, it's a real bear for planning for substitutes. Keeping an Algebra class on task for 1.5 hours is a challange for a teacher who has been with the class all year and can play it by ear if need be.....a substitute who is trying to work off a script has their hands full.

14. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Jun 1, 2009

I agree with you 100%!

As a sub, the worst thing I hate about any teacher's lesson plan is busy work. The kids goof off more when they aren't being instructed and on task, they know it isn't worth anything, and it is a wasted experience for me. If I wanted to walk around the entire day watching kids, I would have looked for a job as a security guard at a mall. Seriously though, I don't think there is anything wrong with walking around the room and making sure they are on task (when completing indep. work). However, if they are handed a bunch of filler worksheets and activities to do the entire day it is boring, pointless, and a wasted day for me. I am subing for experience and understand that I will not always be teaching lessons, but the work should at least be something that the teacher is going to grade.

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 1, 2009

How your class performs for a sub is up to you. If your students know you won't take work they do for a sub seriously, then you are setting up a terrible situation for any future subs in your class. When I have subs, any work my students do is graded and usually worth a lot of points. My students also know if they give the sub a hard time, I give them a hard time :)

So if you are looking to make a statement, and I think you should, you should grade the work just like you would if you had been there. I have built a rep over time so my students KNOW they should complete the assignment the sub gives them and do it to the best of their ability. I never want a sub to decline to work in my room because of the behavior my students.

16. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

Jun 1, 2009

Mamacita and kcjo13 - Being in Indiana and Nebraska, you probably have no idea of the circumstances in my situation. You probably couldn't relate or survive for any period of time. In that instance, it's probably better you refrain from comment on something you know nothing about, rather than come off as some sort of "know-it-all."

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
    Abraham Lincoln

Mamacita - How's that for "offense" wise guy?