How should I go about doing this lesson? I have some questions.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherperson, Sep 29, 2016.

1. teacherperson

teacherperson Rookie

Sep 29, 2016

I am a student teacher and tomorrow will be my first time ever teaching a full class. The idea I have in mind is to read the book Red: A Crayon's Story while asking discussion questions throughout, give a mini lesson what theme is or how to find the message/moral of a story, and then fill out a graphic organizer together as a class to help us to determine what the message of this story is. Does this sound like a good plan? Should I read the story then do the mini lesson, or do the mini-lesson then read the story? What advice or tips can you give me? I need all the help I can get, any advice will be appreciated! Thank you

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 29, 2016

What grade is this?

If it's Kinder or 1st or maybe even 2nd, I'd give a quick min-lesson on themes/morals/messages first, then read the story. You can even pause during the story to show some thinking-aloud as you notice anything that pertains to finding the message. Last, do the activity so they can get their brains thinking.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2016

5. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Oct 1, 2016

I think I would do mini-lesson and then story, so that the kids know what to be looking and listening for. Good luck!

TamiJ likes this.
  6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2016

I agree. I would also consider how you can break up the time they are sitting and listening, because young kids have a short attention span (my students are 5 turning 6). Once you have the mini lesson and the read aloud, they've been sitting a long time. I'd consider some turn and talks in there to break it up (if they already know how to do that.......if not you can still do it, but then that's a whole lesson in itself as well, and that may be too many news things at once).

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2016

I agree with mini lesson, which sets the focus or purpose for reading and then read the story where you talk through finding it. However, if the story is short & quick, you could preview it FIRST so the kids already know what it's about, then teach the mini lesson and then re-read to look for the theme. "OK guys, now we're going to re-read a second time, but this time we'll... " That way it's already setting the stage to re-read a text several times for different purposes.