How should I explain "beauty pageants show disrespect to women?"

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by thesub, Sep 11, 2015.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 11, 2015

I am a p/t aide in 3rd grade and one student was reading D.Guttman's "Mrs Sue has no clue" and this sentence came up. The student said he had no idea what a beauty pageant was and was stumped by the above sentence. However, reading got over just then and we moved onto SS. How should I explained it if we had the time? How simple should I have kept my explanation?

Thank you so much,
    thesub

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2015

You could have simply stated that the sentence was a character's opinion about a contest/event that some women participate in. You might want to keep your own opinion out of the explanation.

BioAngel likes this.
  4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 12, 2015

Yep.

I know a lot of strong women that participate/participated in pageants and went on to have their own daughters participate. I'm very certain that if they felt disrespected they would never spend the time, money or energy on them.

I'm not a fan, but then again, I think professional sports are stupid and cannot imagine sitting through a 2 hour concert listening to a single violinist play. Everyone has their own thing.

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 28, 2015

Definitely keep your own opinion to yourself. You don't know if this family participates in this type of activity. Just someone's opinion :)

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 29, 2015

One of the most important things you need to learn with younger kids is when it's best to smile, nod, and change the subject. Every year, I have a student at some point bring up Adam and Eve, or the world being 6,000 years old, or political candidates. These are subjects I feel strongly about, but there is literally nothing good from me opening my mouth and giving my thoughts on the matter. It sounds like this is the same type of situation. If you feel the need to respond at all, make it something very vague ("different people have different thoughts about this."). In this case, there was no need to say anything at all, other than a factual, short statement about what a beauty pageant is.

Caesar753 likes this.
  7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 29, 2015

I wouldn't voice my own opinion because I wouldn't want to risk insulting a child or family who chose to participate in pageants.

Caesar753 and teacherintexas like this.
  8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2015

In HS, you could have them do some research and come up with pros and cons, but in third grade, leave it at thankfully we aren't all the same. End of conversation. Move on. If adults can't come to an agreement about such things, I see no use dragging third graders into the fray.

Galen T likes this.
  9. PositivelyAutism

PositivelyAutism Rookie

Jun 29, 2016

I agree with this idea.