How Should I Dress?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hzminda, Jan 18, 2011.

1. hzminda

hzminda Rookie

Jan 18, 2011

So, as usual, I am not sure if I am posting this in the right section; so if I am not feel free to move :)

My question/statement is:

I am an Elementary Education Major and I just started my "block One" courses. I went to class the other day and I noticed that a lot of the other girls my age (early 20's) dress really "nice" and "cute." They look professional.

When I look at myself in the mirror I feel like I am under dressed sometimes. A lot of people tell me that I look like I am 16 or 17 (I have even gotten 14) :unsure:. I guess this is due to the way I am dressing.

Should I start dressing more professional to class? :confused: When I volunteer at the Elementary schools I dress move professional (no jeans or shirts); mainly slacks, dress shirts, and nice shoes.

I look at my friends (early 20s) and they dress like me (more relaxed looking). Should I start dressing differently?

Thanks!

M.H.

3. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jan 18, 2011

Almost every day, I wear khakis or slacks and a blouse or a sweater and flats. Many of the other female teachers dress like me, but a few wear cute outfits and high heels. Wear something professional that lets you move in the classroom without any "wardrobe malfunctions" or extremely sore feet.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 18, 2011

I'm going to give the same advice a board member gave me here the other day...if you have to ask yourself, the answer is yes :)

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2011

Starting to build a more professional wardrobe can't possibly hurt you. You're going to need one eventually anyway, so investing a little here and there now will start to build that wardrobe. It's expensive to do all at once.

Having your professors notice that you dress professionally can't possibly hurt if you need a letter of recommendation down the road.

Finding out what sort of professional wear is comfortable, and suits you, will make that easier down the road.

Starting to see yourself, not as that 14-or 16-or 17- year old looking girl, but as a woman pursuing a teaching career will aid your self confidence.

So, yes, try to start dressing more professionally. Consider school your job, and start dressing up a bit for that job.

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 19, 2011

You probably need to start dressing more professional. However, there is a difference between fashionable/cute and professional. I have like no fashion sense, but I dress professionally. Do I wear four inch heels everyday? No way. My feet can't handle it. Yea, I don't look as cute as the rest of my staff, but I'm dressed professionally and comfortably. You can be professional without being uncomfortable.

7. hzminda

hzminda Rookie

Jan 19, 2011

Thanks for the help. I am going to start, slowly, dressing more professional to class. I guess it is a good idea to try and leave my teen-age years behind me and start a new chapter in my life.

I feel like when I am "Dressed-up" people look at me because they are "dressed-down." Every time I do try and look more "neat" my family and friends make comments like; "where are you going dressed like that?" and I usually respond back, "I am trying to look more professional for my classes."

Thanks again.
    M.H.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2011

If you are talking about just going to class, I would say wear whatever you want. I typically wore sweatpants to class. The only exception would be if your professor or guest speakers in the class happen to be potential employers.

When you start teaching, you will see a wide range of dress in the classroom. It sounds like the slacks and dress shirts you are wearing now are fine. Some people will be much dressier and trendier. But there is no need to wear a suit or a cute outfit to work everyday. I think khakis and a polo or knit shirt are perfectly acceptable for teaching.

I agree with others though - starting to put together a professional wardrobe now is probably a good idea.

9. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jan 19, 2011

When I go to my classes (and I still do), I wear whatever I want unless I'm presenting something. I think you should be as comfortable as you need to be.

However, for work I wear appropriate sweaters or blouses with professional looking pants or skirts. Some teachers (younger and older) in my school wear jeans and sneakers to work. I do not because I feel like looking professional sends a message to students that you take school seriously and students should as well.

10. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jan 19, 2011

I agree!

Even if you dress professionaly there will still be days when people confuse you with a student or think that you look really young if you are like me. There was one day I was sitting at a table with 7th graders at a study hall helping them with their math homework dressed in a button down shirt and black slacks and a teacher walked into the room and couldn't find me. He thought I was a 7th grader! Same thing with the high school. Don't take it personally. :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  11. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Jan 19, 2011

Since you are just starting I have found that I can build great professional looks at my local thrift stores. Honestly my whole wardrobe is built on what I bought at Goodwill. Great clothes and I can create a outfit for $6. Especially if you are still in college saving money and looking great is a HUGE win win. :D

12. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Jan 19, 2011

Btw I was in heels, tailored black pants, and a nice top yesterday at the junior high I student teach at and a janitor told me I had to go to the office for a pass. I had a good laugh about it. :p