How should I dress when I go see my classroom?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by TootyTa, Jul 25, 2010.

1. TootyTa

TootyTa Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

It kind of seems like a silly question, but I was wondering what I should wear when I go see my classroom. Do I still need to dress like I would for an interview, or can I dress more casually? The reason I ask is if I start cleaning and working in there that day, I don't want to get nice clothes dirty. It's my first year to teach, so I don't know what to do. Help!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2010

No, you don't have to wear interview clothes! How about dressing neatly though (capris and a nice tee?) and bring a change of clothes (shorts, sneakers) in case you get 'down and dirty' working in the room...

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 25, 2010

:agreed:

5. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jul 25, 2010

If you're planning to go see it and work too, wear something casual. Most of the time you'll see teachers working in their rooms in shorts/capris and t-shirts. Just make sure that you're shirt doesn't have anything inappropriate on it and you're fine.

6. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

Agreed. Nothing too dressy, but def not down and dirty clothes yet just in case you can't get into the cleaning part today.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2010

No, no...no need to wear interview clothing. When I go in to work on my room I wear "exercise" capris which sadly haven't seen any other use this summer and a t-shirt, and while you don't have to be so casual especially until you feel out the school and establish yourself, you certainly don't need to be formal. It's not that I believe once you have the job you can scream "SIKE!" and reveal your true crazy self :p, but you can dress appropriately for the job of cleaning and moving.

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2010

"Sike" LOL My teenager uses this phrase nonstop! :lol: It's good to finally see it being used by one of us grown ups! Yes, we too can be cool!

9. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

I wore a sundress just to see my room and drop somethings off. Then I came back the next day and starting cleaning with jeans and a tee.

10. meeko32198

meeko32198 Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

I was wondering the same thing about teacher in-service though. When I went to see my class I had nice linen work pants and a nice shirt. I start in-service tomorrow though and have no clue what to wear.

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 25, 2010

I would wear something neat and comfortable to the inservice- then see what everyone else wears- if it's jeans feel free to do the same- if it's khakis then follow that.

12. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jul 25, 2010

Most of us dress nicely, but casually for in-service if we're having workshops or training. We dress in jeans or shorts on the days we're in our rooms setting up/cleaning. Again, capris or a skirt and nice top should be fine for in-service training days. I usually wear a linen skirt and a solid colored t-shirt/top for the workshop days. Be sure to put some clothes in your car in case you wind up having time to work in your room.

13. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

I'm trying to figure out what i'm suppose to wear to sign my contract, and then what to wear for new teacher orientation and so forth ...

14. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

If you have to go to the District Office to sign your contract i would dress nice for that. New teacher orientation, if its like my district, dress in interview attire.

15. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

When I went to go see my room Friday, I wore some gray pants and a blank green tshirt..and sneakers lol

16. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 26, 2010

My staff all wears shorts, jeans, sweats, etc for setting up our room. Whatever we are comfortable in, our P doesn't care (yes, she seriously told us that as long as we show up everyday to teach, she doesn't care what we wear... we are allowed to wear jeans all week, not just Fridays).

For county-wide training, I always wear dress pants and a nice top... if it is multiple days, I check out what others are wearing the first day, and then make it a little more casual based off what they are wearing. The thing about those trainings is that you don't want to poorly represent your school.