How should I decorate my individual whiteboards for student EOY gifts?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lemonhead, May 22, 2011.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 22, 2011

I went to Lowes this morning and had a sheet of tileboard cut into individual 12 by 12 squares which I will give to my students as whiteboards.

Has anyone made these before? Does anyone know of a website where they might show examples of this?

I am trying to find some cute/easy ideas for decorating. They look plain along the edges, so I am going to trim the edges with colorful or patterned duct tape. The duct tape will act as a half inch border or frame with the remainder of the duct tape folding around to the back (like a book binding). This way I don't have to worry about rough edges.

Should I put their name on it using a paint pen? Draw something? Write something? My theme is monkeys. My class was known as "MyLastName's Bunch". I teach first.

Thanks,

Lemon

3. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

May 22, 2011

This is what I would do. Maybe a little flower, heart, or smiley face, too.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 22, 2011

There are some great new craft tapes on the market...I saw a leopard print one at AC Moore today which would totally go with a monkey/jungle theme...yes use paint pens for their names! Great gift!:thumb:

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 22, 2011

Cute idea! I like the idea of the fancy duct tape-there are so many patterns out there!

Just curious...about how much does that cost when getting it at Lowes?

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 24, 2011

That is the type of tape I was talking about. I saw a ton of printed duct tapes at Wal-mart, too. What is AC Moore?

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 24, 2011

AC Moore is a craft store...like Michael's

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 24, 2011

$13.34 They cut it for free. Even if they would have charged me to cut, the first 4 cuts are free and additional cuts are 25 cents eact. It was a total of 10 cuts for 32 boards. I would have had to pay just $1.50 more.

I am going to get my markers from the Dollar Store. They are 4 to a pack so that is another $5.00. I ordered some cute erasers with school money from Really Good Stuff, but I am not sure if I am going to give them erasers or not. I was going to save them for next year's kids and their classroom white boards. Would it be silly to not give them erasers?

I already have paint pens. I think the duct tape will cost the most as I will need 40-80 feet of it for 20 boards, depending on how wide it is.

Anyway, thank you for your ideas. I think the name and a little monkey head would work.

Lemon

PS. I don't know how you all made sense of my initial post. I am going back to fix it now! Sheesh!!!

9. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 24, 2011

I don't think they NEED an eraser....also, some teachers use baby socks for erasers-like whenyou give each kid a white board to write their answers and hold up the boards to show you the answer in class